Chapter 48

Night had fallen but the rain still continued. Arthur and Grace remained sitting together as they enjoyed each other's company they had both missed very much. While some of them slept, Abigail and Tilly were preparing more food to help Pearson and let the man have a rest. The door creaked open to reveal Dutch. Dutch grinned with relief as the gang all rose to their feet, welcoming Dutch. Everyone began to speak at once, Abigail hurrying over to Dutch.

"Dutch, Dutch they got John!" Abigail informed, trying not to panic. Dutch held a hand up to Abigail.

"Okay, okay," Dutch eased the woman. Abigail let him past as he walked into the cabin, the gang all erupting from the other room to meet him. As everyone continued to talk over each other, all full of relief to see Dutch had returned in one peace Dutch spoke over everyone.

"How'd you folks find each other?" He asked, grinning with relief to see everyone. "What happened?" He asked another question. As he continued to look around at everyone in amazement he stuttered. "Can... can somebody get me a cup of coffee or something?" He asked with a bit of humour in his voice. Tilly happily got up, heading into the other room to fetch Dutch coffee. 

"It was Mrs. Adler who saved us, Dutch. After the robbery in Saint Denis she got us away from the camp before the Pinkertons turned up." Leopold began to explain. Sadie nodded in appreciation at Leopold. "Then Mrs. Adler, Ms. Peters and Mr. Smith drove away the degenerates that were living here!" Tilly appeared back into the room, handing Dutch his coffee before sitting back down in front of Sadie. Dutch looked over at Sadie with appreciation. 

"Mrs. Adler, we owe you," Dutch praised. Sadie threw a hand in denial as everyone cheered for her, Grace grinning happily at the woman. She had to agree with Leopold, if Sadie didn't act as quick as she did, they would all be rotting corpses in Shady Bell. "Thank you," Dutch thanked as everyone fell quiet. 

"It's been real hard, Dutch," Tilly spoke up. Dutch's eyes fell on the woman as everyone fell quiet so they could listen. "We... we been surviving, but only just. What we gonna do?" Tilly asked, her voice full of concern. A few nods were shared as people also wanted to know what was going to happen next. 

"Things have been tough," Dutch agreed with her. Tilly nodded at him as he continued. "There ain't no doubt about that. Trust me I am gonna get us out of here. This ain't over," Dutch reminded, attempting to keep everyone strong. Grace nodded, trying to build up the courage of her camp mates. 

"Ain't none of you folks interested in our adventures?" Micah joked as he pushed past Abigail and Dutch before chuckling at himself. 

"Guess we're more interested in escaping the hangmen on our tail," Abigail informed as she looked over at everyone else, speaking over him as he chuckled. 

"Cheerful nymph of the prairie, wasn't you, Abigail?" Micah responded sarcastically as Abigail pushed past everyone to get into the other room. 

"Oh sure, my fair heart jumps for joy when I set eyes on you, Micah," Abigail joked as she called back to the room everyone had gathered in. Micah chuckled, holding his hands up in defeat as Abigail made her way back into the room with a cup. "We buried Hosea, Dutch. Charles and I stole his body from the law one night and gave him a proper burial," Abigail informed. Arthur nodded, grateful to Abigail and Charles. "It was real nice," Abigail grinned. Everyone nodded with agreement before the door erupted again, announcing Bill's arrival. 

"Well here you is," Bill started as he marched in, Suddenly the joy was washed away by Bill's temper. "Well I asked everyone I could find and eventually someone knew. Said you fools were out here!" He hissed as he marched in further, approaching Tilly, Grace and Sadie. "Shit... get me a drink or something!"