Chapter 20

Grace's hunger made her shake and weak. She watched as the Lemoyne Raiders exchanged words while eating. The bread in their hands looked better than ever right now. Grace had been here for two days, starving and harassed. She was growing extremely sick of the boys with their comments and their smell, their putrid smell. She could tell they hadn't had a bath in months, the dirt staining their skin and their facial hair mattered and unhealthy. Grace noticed Oliver had walked out of the house, waving Phil over to him. She watched as they talked, it looked serious. Phil nodded and she watched as they both joined her, staring down at her. 

"I think I've decided what to do with you," Oliver announced. Grace looked at the ground before looking back up at him, squinting from the evening sun behind Oliver.

"And what's that?" Grace questioned. Grace grinned cheekily. "Because I guess starving me to death isn't enough."

Phil chuckled lightly, looking at Oliver. Oliver grinned, his grin forced and sarcastic. "Trust me, Phil wants you dead and I'd be amused to watch you suffer. A lot of my men want to do unpleasant things to you, as you probably already know," Oliver sighed before squatting down to get to eye level with Grace. "I want to hold an execution, Lemoyne Raider style. Now, this won't be like any normal hanging like what those Sheriffs do. Huh, why should I explain to you, you'll see soon enough."

"Yeah, good luck with that," Grace muttered. Grace knew for a fact she was not going to let herself get hung, not when the gang needs her and she needs them. Like Hosea said, they're family. Oliver frowned, Phil looking down at Grace. Her comment had caught his attention.

"What do you mean by that?" Oliver question instantly. Grace chuckled.

"I'm a Van Der Linde! They're going to find me, they ain't stupid," Grace laughed. Grace motioned around the camp. "Unlike you, at least we know how to look after ourselves."

"Yes, you defiantly know how to look after yourself," Phil scoffed, pointing at the ropes around her hands.

"Take this ropes off me and try for yourself," Grace hissed her threat. Phil's eyes turned into slits as his hands clenched into fists by his sides. "Remember, I killed your friends and almost you. Such a shame you didn't bleed out," Grace finished. Oliver slapped her hard across the face, Grace falling onto her side from the impact. Oliver grabbed her chin roughly, ripping her to look at him.

"Remember, it's you dying tonight. Nothing will change that," Oliver hissed before pushing her away from him, motioning Phil to follow as he marched away in fury. Phil gave Grace a nasty look before following. Grace chuckled as they marched away, rubbing the side of her face gently, trying to ease the pain. 

"That's all you've got?" Grace chuckled as she called out to them. Oliver stopped in his tracks for a few moments before continuing back to the house, refusing to go back to Grace. Grace pushed herself back up right, bringing her knees up to her chest as she held them close to her.

Grace awoke to a hard jab in her rib cage. She looked up to see Phil aiming a rifle down at her. The camp was dark except for a few dimly lit lanterns. 

"You seem excited," Grace grunted as held out her wrists for him to cut the ropes off of. She watched as he pulled out his hunting knife and rubbed the blade against the rope, the rope fraying before bursting off her wrists. Grace watched as he purposely dug the blade into her skin drawing blood. Grace chuckled at him, pulling her wrists away from him. "Just a bit," Grace added. Phil grabbed her arm forcefully, pulling her to his feet. He shoved her forward before aiming is rifle at her back. 

"Walk," was the only word he hissed. Grace didn't bother fighting, feeling shaky from hunger. Plus, she didn't much like have a rifle aimed at her back. Grace noticed more lights by a large tree in the distance, she made out dark figures of people. She joined the figures who were Lemoyne Raiders, seeing the old man from the other day and Mike there. She also saw Oliver of course. Oliver outstretched his arms, motioning to the chair under a branch, a noose already tied on the branch, hanging ready for her neck. Grace's eyes locked onto the noose, realising what was happening. She didn't actually believe she was going to die but now it seemed too real. Grace felt her vision blur from panic and fear.