Chapter 42

"Morgan," John's voice was heard from behind the man. Arthur stood up, slamming the blade of the axe into the stump of a tree, turning to face the scar faced man.

"Marston," Arthur greeted him the same way. John folded his arms across his chest, taking a step closer. Arthur knew exactly what this was about. "You want to know about Bronte?" Arthur sighed. John nodded, Arthur shook his head at him. "I've told you what happened already."

"But why would he do that? I get why but... that's not like him," John repeated just like he had last night when Arthur told him what happened when they returned to Shady Bell. "Drowning a man than feeding him to an alligator? Arthur, that's fucked up."

"I know," Arthur agreed. He wanted to erase the memory from his head but it wouldn't go away. Dutch turned into a man that Arthur didn't recognise last night. Like how he killed the lady on the boat. "I've never seen Dutch do something like that in all the years I've known him," Arthur lowered his voice. Sure, they were far enough from listening ears but they had to be careful. If Dutch even caught wind of their doubts against what he did to Bronte they wouldn't hear the end of it. The two of them stayed silent, Arthur figuring that was the end of the conversation, he went to reach for the axe when John quickly spoke up.

"How's Grace by the way? Figured you would know," John asked. Arthur stared at the axe for a few moments before moving his hand away from it. 

"Why don't you go ask her?"

"What's going on with you two? You two have been avoiding each other like the plague," John questioned. Arthur had hoped it hadn't been that obvious but clearly it had been. They had been avoiding each other for days since Grace spoke truthfully to Arthur. He respected her thoughts, he just couldn't understand things. He didn't even know what he didn't understand.

"It's nothing serious, John," Arthur assured, attempting to brush John off of his shoulder but he didn't give up. John frowned at him, a hand pointing towards the house. 

"If that was Abigail or Jack in her position, I wouldn't leave their damn side. Arthur, you helped me wake up to myself and now I'm trying to be the father figure Jack deserves. Arthur, you're better than this!" John lectured. Arthur scratched his chin as his jaw tightened. 

"Grace wants out," Arthur blurted. He felt somewhat better finally saying it out loud. It was a huge weight on his shoulders. John's frown increase.

"Out of the gang?" John questioned, shaking his head in disbelief. Arthur nodded.

"Since Micah shot that man on the train robbery, she hasn't been able to see this life the same," Arthur explained. He lent in slightly as he lowered his voice, "She didn't rob everything off of everyone on that train, including an expensive clip that would've been worth a lot."

"Shit... what was she thinking?" John hissed, still in disbelief. Arthur shook his head.

"I don't know. She told me she wants out yesterday, told me when we all leave for Tahiti or wherever Dutch wants to go she will be staying," Arthur continued. The two of them fell silent as Bill walked by on guard duty, the two of them nodding at the man in greeting as he walked past. Once he was out of hearing range, John pointed at Arthur.

"I know you love her. This shouldn't be so hard for you. You let go of Mary-"

"That's exactly what I'm afraid of! Letting another damn woman go," Arthur hissed. John eased up, stepping back slightly as Arthur's burst of anger explained everything. "They all run away from me because of this life. It ain't something I can just leave, at least with Abigail she sticks around for you even though this ain't no childhood for a kid, seeing folk die!"

"Don't turn this on to me! This is about you and taking hold of this responsibility," John reminded. Arthur sighed, his teeth gritting together as he looked away from John. "Arthur, you have helped me and my family more than anyone. This is my turn to help you, go see her," John continued. Arthur threw his hands up in defeat.

"Fine! I'll go," Arthur snapped, walking away from John and towards the plantation house. 

"Good boy," John joked. Arthur looked back at John, giving him a look of warning and John walked away, chuckling. Arthur pushed open the doors, Molly sitting in the corner as usual. He muttered a greeting to her, he assumed she didn't hear him since she didn't respond. He walked up the stairs and to the room the two of them shared. He opened the door, looking in to see Susan sitting in a chair beside Grace. Susan's eyes darted towards the door as she heard it open. Her aged eyes landed on him, giving him a small grin.

"Here, I'll leave you two for a bit," Susan offered as she stood up from her seat, motioning to the chair for Arthur to sit in. Arthur nodded to her in thanks and Susan left the room, closing the door behind her. Arthur stood in front of the door before finally finding his feet shuffling towards the seat.

"I thought you didn't want to see me," Arthur muttered in defensive as her eyes locked onto him as he sat down. Grace scoffed, shaking her head at him.

"Never would I ever think that," the woman coughed. She winced in pain that the cough had caused her wound. "I heard about Bronte," she told. Arthur nodded before frowning.

"John?" Arthur asked and Grace nodded, a grin falling on her face as he shook his head. "So he's been your source of gossip," he muttered. Grace's small hand reached out of him, her hand resting on his knee.

"I was going to find out either way," Grace ensured. Arthur chuckled, knowing she was right. 

"I don't doubt that. How's your scratch?" He asked, making humour out of her wound. Grace rolled her eyes before smirking.

"Very funny. Susan stitched me up, it looked worse than what it is," she explained. Arthur raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"You sure? You were bleeding everywhere."

"Arthur," Grace warned. Arthur laughed, picking up her hand from his knee and squeezing it in his. Grace grinned at his touch.

"I've come to term with things," Arthur almost choked on the words. Grace's eyes lit up in hope, he assumed it was hope for him to leave the gang with her. Arthur looked away from her, still holding onto her hand, not bearing to watch her face fall as he tells her what he needs to. "I'd rather leave you behind, knowing the woman I love is alive than loving you while you're dead."

The room fell silent before Grace began to sob lightly. He couldn't bare to look at her before he realised a slight laughter break. He turned his head to see her smiling at him, tears of relief washed down her face. This made him realise how much this really meant to her. 

"Thank you," she smiled. Arthur knew he couldn't stay mad at her for her decision when she was this happy with it. Her smile faded before the words flowed out of her mouth.

"Why can't you come with me?"

"You know I can't, Grace," Arthur broke it to her. The corners of her lips fell in disappointment but he knew she understood. "Dutch is more than my Father. I can't just leave this, I was made for this life."

"I understand," Grace nodded. He felt her squeeze one of his hands. He raised the back of her hand to his lips, planting a soft, caring kiss on her hand before squeezing it with his large hands again. "I will always love you, Arthur," Grace's voice cracked. He knew she was growing emotional.

"Me too, sweetheart," Arthur nodded. The two of them took in each other company, the company they missed from one another. Susan had come back a while later to check up on them which Arthur informed her that he had it from then and on.