Chapter 39

"Help! Help!" Grace began screaming as the train drew closer. The roar of the train and rumbling of the rail road made her want to rip her ears off. She stared at the train, wiggling around to attempt to grab more attention. Panic began to pulse through her.

"Help! Stop! Help!" Grace continued, screaming louder. Grace wiggled more, wildly attempting to gain the train conductors attention. Immediately as the train continued to rush along, Grace's fingers fiddled for the rope. Her fingers clamped around a strand that hung out from the knot. Micah had done the emergency knot where if you pulled it, the rope would come undone. Just as she was about to pull the rope, she heard a faint cuss but loud enough for her to hear. The train's breaks began to slam, embers flying up. Grace squeezed her eyes shut tight, praying that if she gets hit it won't be painful and her death will be quick. The rumbling of the tracks stopped, signalling the train's halt. Grace opened her eyes, looking up to see the train had stopped not too close but enough that was disturbing. She noticed the train conductor's head peek around from inside the driver's engine. 

"Oh shit! I ain't dreamin'!" He began before jumping down from out of the train. Grace began to cry hysterically, putting on a character. "Miss, what happened? How... are you okay?" He asked as he began to approach her carefully, her crying making him worried.

"They...they killed my family. We was camping and they..." Grace trailed off before bursting into a fit of tears again. The man gave her a sympathetic look before his body fell limply to the ground. Grace looked up to see Charles standing where the train conductor was, his shotgun being his stun weapon. "You're getting good at that," Grace joked as she felt his blade cut through the rope around her wrists before he moved to her ankles.

"And you're still cracking jokes," Charles' voice was muffled from his bandana. He stretched a hand down for her to take, Grace's gloved hand reached up and took it, pulling her to her feet. She reached for the bandana around her neck and tugged it up to sit on the bridge of her nose. "Come on, John and Micah are waiting by the train," Charles waved for her to follow. Grace and Charles jogged over to John and Micah who were waiting beside the steps up to the train cart.

"If I've got this right, this should be just folk on the train, no luggage cart. This train is just one to take 'em to Annesburg, the one at Annesburg is the bigger one," Micah explained.

"Why would we hit this one then?"John questioned, frowning. Micah turned to him, unholstering one of his unique revolvers. His guns always fascinated her with the black steel and red grip. 

"Because they'll have their luggage with them, meaning we won't have to split from each other-"

"Hey, what's taking so long?" A voice was heard from by the steps. The four of them immediately jumped into the shadow of the train, sticking close to the cold metal. Grace heard steps shuffle down the steps, revealing a man in a blue suit, one from saint denis. His black hate screamed lawman, Charles realising what this meant and without a second thought he threw a knife into the back of his head, the man falling limp.

"It's fucking guarded!?" Grace spat, immediately turning to Micah as Charles removed the knife from the guard's head. "Did you know?"

"Of course not! Shit," Micah muttered, rubbing a hand under his bandana to scratch his chin. "Alright," Micah began, a plan springing into mind. He held a finger up as he spoke."We take them out, silently."

"Well if that's the case, you stay here and stay alert," Charles spat at him. Grace and John snickered as Micah rolled his eyes, moving to the steps and sitting on them. 

"Fine. You lot go clear off the guards then," Micah hissed. The three of them drew out their knives, Charles still armed with his throwing knives and one arrow in his other hand. Charles moved to the front of the group, signalling John and Grace with a flick of his hand to follow. The three of them crouched as they ran silently alongside the train, keeping out of view of the windows. The group stopped as Charles peeked around the corner of the train cart before quickly ducking back into cover, turning to the others.