Chapter 5

Grace stood in the tree line early next morning, keeping watch while Bill caught up on much needed sleep. Bill had been out staying on guard for a few days now, it was only fair that he gets some rest. As much as Grace wanted to return to her cot and sleep, Grace also wanted to keep her family safe. It was still dark but not too dark, the sun would start to rise in about an hour she figured. The tired woman let out a yawn while holding one of the camp repeaters that were found near the entrance of the camp, available for camp members to take when keeping watch. Grace jolted awake when she heard hooves coming down the path in front of the camp. She ducked behind a nearby tree in swift movement, peeking around the tree. If it was someone just passing by and they saw her, they would suspect something. However, if they come down the path towards camp, they would be in trouble. The hooves slowed down to a walk, turning into the bush towards the camp. Grace revealed herself, holding the repeater tight in her small hands.

"Who's there?" She demanded. Grace calmed herself when she recognised the horse to be Lenny's, the kid smiling down at her.

"It's just me," he called out before stopping his horse beside her. Grace grinned up at Lenny, seeing he was a lot more relaxed than yesterday morning. 

"You feeling better?" She asked, petting his horse on the nose. His horse nodded happily and Lenny also nodded, answering her question.

"Other than my headache and I keep throwing up, I'm fine. Arthur's gone to get Micah now," Lenny added. I nodded, at least we knew where Arthur was in case he didn't return for a few days. The obvious answer would be he was most likely arrested for trying to break Micah out, more than likely to be hung with him.

"Go see Susan if you get too sick, she'll look after you," Grace informed Lenny. Lenny nodded before continuing his way back to camp, leaving Grace to keep guard. Grace returned to her tree, sitting against the trunk. Grace kept her eyes peeled and her ears alert.

The sound of more hooves jolted Grace awake, quickly reaching for the repeater that she leaned up against the tree next to her before she had dozed off. It was now the middle of the day, dark clouds forming in the distance to the east. Grace stuck behind her tree, standing up now as she peeked around once again. She sighed with relief when she recognised the horse of Arthur Morgan.

"You're back!" She called out to him as he entered the tree line. Arthur looked frustrated, Micah was nowhere to be seen. Grace frowned in confusion. "Lenny told me you were going to get Micah... where is he?" She asked. Arthur scratched his jaw as he stopped his horse before Grace.

"I got him after shooting up the whole town, goddamn fool," Arthur muttered. Grace sighed, understanding why Arthur would be frustrated. "He's going to get a gift for Dutch," Arthur continued. Grace rolled her eyes, not surprised with Micah. He had been trying for a while now to get Dutch to trust him more than Arthur. "You look tired," Arthur changed the topic, not wanting to talk about Micah for any longer. Grace nodded.

"I took over for Bill. He hadn't slept for days," Grace explained. Arthur chuckled.

"Bill needs to toughen up, the dumbass. Go rest, I'll get Bill back out here," Arthur insisted. Grace shook her head, standing her ground. 

"We both know I can do this, Arthur." Grace reminded. Arthur chuckled lightly, looking at the woman who was staring at him fierce. 

"Alright," he gave in before heading down to camp. Grace watched as Arthur headed down to camp, Dutch's voice following not long after as he greeted Arthur with questions about Micah. Grace began to think that she should've taken Arthur's offer, getting Bill back out here so she could go rest. Although she wanted to prove herself to the gang that she is just as capable to do things like the rest of them.