Chapter 55

Arthur and Grace arrived together at Doyle's Tavern the following day, following Dutch and Sadie's instructions to meet them there. 

"You know," Grace began as she landed on the ground with a thud, throwing Kaya's reins over the horses head. "I normally don't hate places that sell liquor but this I would be more than happy to watch burn," Grace hissed with bitterness as she tied Kaya's reins through a loop of steel attached to a steel post.

"Grace, it's not the owners fault," Arthur insisted. Grace knew he was right but the bartender knew shady things go on in his Tavern. A normal tavern doesn't just open their doors for outlaws like Micah or like Dutch, considering Dutch was in there right now with the highest bounty in the state.

"He's just as bad for letting outlaws and Pinkertons run their schemes under his roof," Grace barked which Arthur nodded in agreement. He couldn't tell her she was wrong because they both knew he wasn't. The Pinkertons probably didn't know that Micah wasn't the only outlaw he let under his roof and sold liquor to. Arthur and Grace approached the double doors, Arthur held the door open for Grace to enter first like the gentleman he could be.

"There you both are," Dutch greeted as the two of them walked over to the bar. Grace rested a hand on Sadie's shoulder, showing her condolences for what was going to happen. Sadie gave her a thankful nod.

"Here we are," Arthur watched as Sadie took a final gulp from her bottle and Dutch took a final draw from his cigar before putting it out in the ash tray. 

"Come on, let's go," Dutch immediately instructed the group.

"Let's go where?" Arthur asked. Arthur and Grace didn't know too much about the plan, just that Colm was going to swing and the O'Driscolls would sure as shit try to stop it. "And why are you so riled up?" Arthur asked another question as he took a handful of almonds from the bowl in front of them. Sadie slid the bowl away from Arthur after he took a handful, offering some to Grace which so politely accepted.

"Today is a great day, Arthur," Dutch reminded the man. "Today is the day they are going to hang Colm O'Driscoll," Dutch informed as he grabbed two packages off of the counter beside him, placing them under his arms as he gathered more equipment. 

"That so?" Arthur questioned. Grace could since Arthur's doubt, they all knew Colm had been hung many times and escaped all of them.

"Either they hang him, or I shoot him," Sadie growled, pushing the bowl of almonds back to it's original spot after she took a handful herself. Grace nodded as she crunched on the almonds.

"Oh they are going to hang him," Dutch ensured the widow.

"Yeah, and not before time," Sadie agreed before following after Dutch into the back room. Arthur and Grace exchanged looks before following the two of them, Arthur pushing ahead of Sadie to talk to Dutch more.

"That boy's been on the gallows more than most. I wouldn't count anything until his neck's broke," Arthur reminded as Dutch handed Sadie and Grace the packages. Grace looked down at her package, she assumed Dutch had gotten them costumes to blend in with the crowd. She knew that she was going to get close to Colm if she had to blend in. 

"Well, nor would I," Dutch agreed as he opened a door, revealing a small room. "Which is why, despite us being wanted men," Dutch continued as he shoved Grace and Sadie into the room before shutting the door behind him, shutting Grace and Sadie out of their conversation. Dutch's voice became muffled as he continued to talk to Arthur, the walls blocking their conversation. 

"How you feeling?" Grace asked Sadie, watching her already tearing her package apart. Her hands held a yellow dress, a hat in her other hand and she scoffed at the sight of it.