Chapter 47

The noise of the hooves trotting over the bridge into Shady Bell sent shivers down Grace's spine as she approached the fountain. She asked the horse to come to a stop, the black and white paint listened respectfully and obeyed. They stopped by the fountain and Grace dismounted. She petted the beautiful horse on the neck, thanking the mare for the safe journey. Grace hadn't seen anything suspicious on her ride back to Shady Bell. She scanned the old camp, her heart sinking. There was no sign of life and the place had been trashed. The Pinkertons had defiantly been here and tried to look for clues to where the gang had moved to. 

"You know, I feel bad that I haven't named you yet, girl," Grace sighed as she turned back to the mare, staring at her soft eyes. Grace had broken in the horse herself right before the Blackwater robbery. Since then, she hadn't had the time to think of a name. A grin fell upon Grace's face as she stroked the mare's nose. "Kaya. I'll call you Kaya, it means pure," Grace finally declared. She wished she could understand what the mare thought of the name but sadly humans will probably never know what animals really think, whether or not they like their name. "You've been nothing but pure on our time together. I think it suits," Grace explained. The horse continued to stare at the woman which Grace began to think herself as silly. She chuckled lightly, backing away from the mare. "I wish I understood what you are thinking. Anyway, I've got a letter to deliver," Grace informed, reminding herself verbally to stay on track. Grace turned towards the house, making her way towards the rundown and abandoned-once-more building. If this place was cleaned up and cared for, it would be a beautiful little house in the swamps. Pity it was surrounded by Alligators. Grace's hand hovered over her revolver as she pushed open the doors slowly and quietly, preparing herself in case she wasn't alone. She peeked in first, looking around before figuring it was clear. She opened the doors confidently, releasing a sigh of relief. She shuffled through her breast pocket on her vest as she walked into the room which once sat Hosea and Dutch as they planned the robbery. Grace thought she could see the two of them in the room again but it was all in her head. She paused as she looked around the room, remembering the corner she was standing in and Arthur walking into the room. She remembered Hosea's finger guiding Dutch, showing him how this was going to work. The poor man, he was really confident. Since the robbery, Grace was convinced someone had said something. It was too perfect and too prepared to go wrong. Grace quickly picked herself back up, hurrying over to the table as she unfolded the letter she had written. She had to make sure she wrote it so it was for someone, not for anyone in the gang. If the Pinkertons returned to Shady Bell for whatever reason they had, it had to seem like it was nothing. She smirked as she began to read her letter out loud.

"Dear Uncle Joseph. I apologise deeply for not catching you in time, however I am afraid I do not know your current location. Mother informed me you had been staying here in Shady Bell so I will be leaving the letter here in hope that you return one day and find it here. While Mother and I were travelling to find you, she fell ill so we have to take shelter in a small housing area called Lakay. It appears abandoned so we should be safe while Mother rests. It would be greatly appreciated if you make your way over immediately as I am afraid that she may get worse. It's a shame that we may meet again on such awful terms but we will both appreciate you showing yourself. Love from your niece, Matilda." Grace chuckled as she finished reading the letter. She placed the letter down on the table, ensuring the paper was held down by something. Grace quickly fiddled in her jean's pocket and pulled a small yet precious broach. In reality, Grace had stolen it off of some woman before coming to Shady Bell. She needed something that would catch 'Uncle Joseph's' eye. She placed the broach on top of the letter, holding the letter in place on the table so the wind wouldn't blow the letter away. 

"Please come home, Arthur," Grace mumbled before dragging herself out of the plantation house. She hurried over to Kaya, not wanting to hover around Shady Bell for any longer. After she mounted, she immediately galloped the horse out of Shady Bell.