Chapter 53

"I found her, Dutch," Arthur grumbled as the three of the walked into camp, Charles providing support for Grace. Charles and Grace slowly followed behind, Charles ensuring Grace was okay with the speed they were going at.

"What? Grace, what happened?" Dutch asked, looking past Arthur to Grace. Grace kept her mouth shut as her eyes trailed off towards Micah who was now warned by Grace's presence. His jaw tightened as he continued to sit by Dutch's tent. 

"The O'Driscolls shot her, she hid out for a while to make sure they weren't following her," Arthur explained. Grace could tell by how tense he was, Arthur was trying his best not to race past Dutch and beat Micah to a pulp. "Charles and I went looking and found her to our luck."

"Is she okay?" Dutch asked before looking past Arthur again and at Grace. "Are you okay?" He rephrased, not meaning to shut her out. She gave him a nod, approving that she was okay. The wound hadn't become infected yet so she was most likely going to be fine. Dutch looked back to Arthur, lowering his voice. "Have you told her about Colm?"

"No, not yet," Arthur answered. Grace frowned, growing concerned. Was Colm dead? Did Sadie find him? Dutch gave Arthur a nod.

"Alright, well make sure you tell her," Dutch reminded. Arthur nodded before waving Charles to follow him. Charles continued to help Grace, guiding her to her cot in the tent her and Arthur shared. She hadn't gotten around to purchasing new equipment for her since her tent ripped at Shady Bell and a peg went missing. Although, she didn't mind staying with Arthur. Charles placed her down carefully on the cot before dismissing himself, Arthur sat down at the end of the cot. He lifted her legs so her legs covered his lap. 

"When..." Arthur began before trailing off. His voice lowered now. "When Sadie... I went and scoped out Sisika, Sadie found out that Colm is imprisoned in Saint Denis.He is meaning to get lynched in the town square," Arthur explained. Grace raised an eyebrow. She knew Colm had gotten caught many times before but he escaped every lynching. This one was going to be no different. 

"And what about John?" Grace asked, also keeping her voice low. Arthur gave her a small nod, placing a hand on one of her knees.

"We're getting him out tomorrow. I think we can do it, you can come if you want but I don't want to push you after being sh-"

"I'll come," Grace finished him off. Arthur gave her a nod and a small smirk.

"I knew you would," Arthur chuckled. Grace grinned at him before frowning. Arthur said he had scoped out Sisika but how? If he went over to the island he would've gotten caught, killed or shot. 

"How did you get to Sisika?" Grace questioned. Arthur chuckled, shaking his head slightly before looking at her again.

"Hot air balloon. Sadie's idea," Arthur explained. Grace thought he was joking but he wasn't as no laughter followed. Grace scoffed at surprise.

"So while I've been hiding, you've been flying in the sky," she joked which caused Arthur to grin. "Does Charles know about us breaking John out?" Grace asked, turning the topic back onto track. Arthur shook his head.

"No, just us three and Abigail," Arthur answered. "I know I can trust Charles but I think it's safe just to keep it between us."

"Okay," Grace nodded, approving Arthur's reason. Arthur stood up, moving her legs off of him as he did so before turning to face her again. 

"Meet at the dock by the abandoned building not too far from here, Sadie told me she has a boat there waiting for tomorrow," Arthur informed. He moved towards her, placing a kiss on her forehead before hurrying off. She didn't know where he was off to in such a hurry but she knew there was no reason to worry.