Chapter 22

"Thanks again for helping," Pearson thanked once again as Grace cut up a carrot. She looked up at him, giving the chef of the camp a smile.

"Got nothing to do because of Dutch," Grace grunted, rolling her eyes. Pearson chuckled, nodding as he understood her.

"Well, it's always good to have a lending hand," he added. Grace scooped up the carrot pieces and pushed them over to Pearson who took them from her, sprinkling them into the pot. He looked over his shoulder at the food stock, nodding towards the carrots. "Cut up another one, would you?" He asked. Grace nodded, walking around to the food wagon and grabbing a carrot from the crate. She walked back around to the bench, picking up the knife. "You know, Arthur, Dutch and Micah have gone to talk to Colm?"

"What?" Grace questioned in disbelief, almost cutting the tip of her finger with the knife. She looked down at the knife and her finger, making sure she was still intact.

"Yeah, they suggested a parley so Arthur, Dutch and Micah have gone to see to this parley," Pearson explained as he stirred the put with a wooden spoon. Grace shook her head in disbelief.

"That's bullshit," Grace muttered, not finding it convincing at all. Pearson shook his head at Grace, disagreeing with her.

"No, they said it to me! We ran into each other in town," Pearson continued, still believing the parley. Pearson looked over towards the hitching posts, hearing movement. "Look! They're back," Pearson pointed out. Grace looked over, Dutch and Micah dismounting their horses as they marched into the camp. Grace frowned, seeing Arthur wasn't with them.

"Where's Arthur?" Grace muttered to herself, dropping the knife as she hurried over towards Dutch and Micah, Pearson in tow. "Where's Arthur?" Grace repeated, louder this time to grab Dutch and Micah's attention. Dutch shook his head as he scratched his jaw.

"I don't know. We agreed to meet at a spot when it was all over and he didn't show," Dutch explained. Grace's jaw dropped slightly before she tightened it, looking at Micah who looked just as concerned as Dutch. Micah looked coldly at Pearson.

"Was it a trap, fat man?" Micah hissed. Pearson's eyes widened as he shook his head.

"No, they told me it was a parley!" Pearson repeated, sounding very convinced that that is what Colm wanted. Dutch shook his head, sighing.

"Well, where is Arthur?" Micah continued, taking a sly step closer to Pearson. Dutch scolded at Micah.

"Micah, it weren't his fault. Arthur might've just had matters to attend to," Dutch explained, trying to convince himself that Arthur was okay.

"Like what? Wouldn't you know?" Grace questioned Dutch, her voice tinged with anger. Dutch stared at her, his eyebrows raised as he pointed to himself.

"Are you doubting me?" Dutch questioned, sounding shocked. Grace shook her head.

"No, I ain't. What are we going to do?" Grace answered before hitting Dutch with another question. Molly stood outside of Dutch's tent, looking over at the group as Pearson excused himself to continue cooking. 

"I don't know. I'll think of something, I promise you that," Dutch promised, placing a hand on Grace's shoulder. Grace gave a small nod, agreeing with him. Micah nodded to.

"Dutch will get your friend back," Micah reassured. Grace glared at Micah slightly.

"He is everyone's family," Grace reminded as she stared at Micah. Micah nodded, chuckling lightly.

"Whatever you say," Micah chuckled before walking away, calling out to Pearson as he approached Pearson. Dutch stood with Grace still.

"What if Arthur needs us, Dutch?" Grace questioned, growing worried. Arthur always came back, something had to be wrong. Dutch had a look of worry on his face, he has known Arthur for years.