Chapter 15

"Hosea!" Grace called out as she walked across the camp to the table where most of them played five finger fillet. Hosea looked up from his book, grinning as he closed the book slightly.

"Grace, how are you?" Hosea asked. Grace nodded as she sat down at the table with the book Hosea had lent her in her hands. She placed it on the table while nodding.

"I'm good, I'm surprised we're still here at Clemen's Point," Grace gave her opinion to Hosea. It had been a few days since the Valentine bank robbery. In those few days, Grace had managed to finish Hosea's book she had also overheard conversations in Rhodes when she ran errands with Tilly. She had heard that just south of Emerald Ranch there is a stable and apparently they brought in a whole heap of expensive horses. Grace had a thing for stealing horses and convincing fools to buy them from her. She had also talked to Dutch about it who then told her that she could sell them to Clay and Clive Davies. They buy horses from people so he figured that selling them to those two wouldn't be a problem. "I finished your book," Grace continued, sliding the book over to him slightly. Hosea nodded at her, taking the book and placing it beside him on the table.

"Did you like it?"

"Yeah, it was nice," Grace answered honestly. 

"I knew you'd like it," Hosea chuckled, glad that Grace had enjoyed the book he recommended. Grace fiddled with her fingers on the table and Hosea realised something was on her mind. "But, that's not why you're really here. What's wrong, Grace?" Hosea asked, switching on father-figure mode. Grace looked up at him from her hands. 

"I'm thinking about robbing a ranch just south of Emerald Ranch. Rich horses, very expensive horses are there. I just don't know if it's worth the risk, we could easily rob a house and get money. I just don't really want to risk getting shot at," Grace explained. Hosea closed his book fully, placing the book on the table before leaning forward in his chair slightly.

"No matter what we do, we'll get shot at. That's just who we are," Hosea began. "Miss, I don't mean to offend you but we ain't no better than those liars and thieves that get hung. We are like them, we just haven't been caught. And why would that be?" Hosea asked rhetorically. "Because we are family and family look out for each other. No matter what, we help each other, even if the plan might get us killed. You just have to decide if it's worth that, risking your family," Hosea finished. Grace nodded at him. "Whatever you decide to do Grace, just know we all will be behind you on it."

"These horses are expensive, maybe some of the best I've seen. I snooped around the other day. They are defiantly well looked after. I know that people would pay top dollar for them," Grace explained.

"Well, it sounds worth it then, don't it?" Hosea questioned. Grace nodded, Hosea had helped her to stop doubting herself. "You're a good woman, Grace. You're smart and you shoot well. I know you'll be fine. Dutch has been real proud of you lately, this'll defiantly be the cherry to the cake," Hosea grinned. Grace smiled, placing her palms on the table and pushing herself up from her chair. 

"Thank you, Hosea. Do you know where I could find Arthur? I know he'll want to help me. He enjoys our little horse robberies," I chuckled. Hose grinned before pointing behind him towards the scout fire. 

"I think I saw him heading up to the scout fire, possibly to talk to Mrs Adler. Goodluck," Hosea wished Grace luck as she waved to him as she left the table, walking up the small slope towards the scout fire. As Grace reached the scout fire, she saw Kieran, the O'Driscoll sitting on one of the rags, Arthur standing across from him.

"Hey Kieran," Grace greeted. Kieran looked up at Grace, welcoming her before she joined Arthur's side. "Arthur."

"Grace. Did Hosea tell you I was up here?" Arthur asked. Grace nodded.