Chapter 10

Catherine hadn't finished her conversation with Grace and Sadie, in fact the two women hadn't even heard her voice once. Not even nearby the room. Grace stared out the window, staring at the stars that twinkled. Sadie still sat on the couch, she hadn't moved since they were first thrown in here. The two were starving and cold. There was a fire place in here but there was no wood to burn. 

"When will they get here?" Sadie muttered in annoyance, keeping her voice low in case the guard outside overheard. Grace continued to look out the window.

"Soon. Hosea won't let us stay here for any longer," Grace insisted. The two had heard Hosea just before nightfall, saying his farewells to Catherine Braithwaite quite loudly. Grace and Sadie had both known that Hosea was announcing to us his departure.

"Should've just left it all to him," Sadie sighed, disappointed in herself. Grace turned around to face Sadie, leaning up against the wall next to the window.

"You just wanted to help," Grace reminded, not wanting Sadie to blame herself. Sadie shook her head, looking over at Grace.

"Don't... don't say that. You have the right to blame me," Sadie continued. Grace clamped her jaw shut, staring at the sad woman. Sadie had rolled the sleeves of her yellow shirt earlier when she was trying to pop open the window. It didn't work of course. Sadie looked down at the small cuts on her hands from trying to pry the window open earlier. "Look at us, we're prisoners."

"No. No we ain't. Not for much longer, anyway," Grace pointed out. She scratched the back of her neck, Sadie still not looking impressed with the world. Grace pushed herself off of the wall, taking a few steps towards Sadie. "Look, we could be in a worse situation. We have gotten off lucky so far," Grace claimed. Sadie gave a small nod, standing up as she stretched her legs.

"You're right. But as far as I know, we're going to starve to death," Sadie hissed before turning to face the door, her hands clenched into fists by her sides. "You goddamn snake!" Sadie spat loudly, loud enough for the whole house to hear. Grace chuckled lightly as Sadie turned around to look at Grace again. "Dutch won't be happy," Sadie muttered. Grace shook her head, agreeing with Sadie.

"No he won't. But, we know for certain they have gold somewhere around here," Grace reminded. The information Sadie and Grace had gotten earlier from one of the workers was small but it would earn them a lot if they could get their hands on the gold. They just had to figure out where it was. "Dutch will be happy with that."

"Dutch'll only be happy with that if we got the gold with us," Sadie muttered in annoyance. Sadie placed a hand on her forehead, biting her lower lip before sighing. "Remind me to never try doing something to impress Dutch again," she chuckled. Grace felt bad for Sadie, Sadie just wanted to prove herself loyal to Dutch and also to thank him for everything he has done for her already. 

"Catherine Braithwaite! We have some questions for you!" Arthur's voice boomed from outside. Sadie and Grace grinned as they peered out the window and down onto Arthur, Lenny, Javier and John. Arthur and John had guards in front of them, their revolvers to the guards head as they held them close as shields. Lenny and Javier stood on each side of John and Arthur, weapons drawn. Catherine walked into view, her arms folded across her chest. 

"Who are you? Get off my land!" The woman hissed, staring at the men with their faces covered. 

"We know you got two of our people. They're just as dangerous as we are, you hand them over and you can have these two alive," Arthur hissed. Arthur pushed the barrel of his revolver closer to the guard's skull, threateningly. Catherine stood their quietly, having a stare off with Arthur before she turned to the large doors of the mansion, pointing.