Chapter 32

Warning!

This chapter is quite graphic.

"So, when exactly are you going to help out around here?" Grace grunted down at Uncle, her hands sitting on her waist as she looked down at the old man, sprawled out across the grass by the steps into the house.

"Yeah, yeah," he huffed, waving a hand as if she was a fly. His hat covered his eyes to block the sunlight. Grace rolled her eyes before turning away from him, spotting one of the cups the camp used for the coffee and water. Grace grinned as she thought of a plan, picking it up and scooping it in one of the wash tubs by Pearson's Wagon. She happily turned around to face Uncle again before tipping the water onto Uncle. The old man spluttered in disturbance as he sat up, his hat falling off of his face and onto the grass beside him. 

"You either find something to benefit the camp, even if it's doing chores! Just do something, otherwise Dutch'll get sick of you," Grace warned, her hands falling back on her hips, the cup in her hand dripped with water. The old man frowned up at her.

"Dutch has a soft spot for me. He likes me unlike you lot," Uncle groaned as he managed to get to his feet, possibly acting out that it was more difficult than what it actually was to try and get sympathy. "Also, I am suffering from-"

"Lumbago, I know. We all know," Grace interrupted. "Dutch has a soft spot for everyone. Especially the ones that work. You want to stay safe? Stay drinking in this shit hole?" She motioned around the swamp that surrounded their camp. "Well you can, only if you earn your keep. If Dutch won't kick you out, I will," Grace frowned at him, finally finding the urge to be stern with him. She understood he was quite old but he made the decision to run with them and he should follow the code too. Reverend has cleaned up his act, she believes Uncle can too. Uncle screwed his nose up at her before marching past her to the beer crate by the wash bin she had gotten the water from. He  looked over at her as he reached into the crate, grabbing a bottle before swaying off, already drunk from his last few rounds. Grace felt the corners of her lips tug down in frustration.

"Well, you tried," Karen chuckled from nearby. Grace looked into the camp, seeing Karen and Tilly together near the fire the pot would hang over. They must've overheard. "If Miss Grimshaw saw you just than, she'd be amazed!" She joked, Tilly laughing. Grace grinned.

"Well, she might have some competition than!" Grace joined in, walking over to them before stopping beside them, shaking her head. "Who am I kidding, no one is better at ripping our heads off than her."

"Sadly that is true. Why can't she be kind?" Tilly sighed, raising her cup of coffee to her lips. It was about mid day and the both of them were already drinking coffee, the two of them looked exhausted. Susan works them into the ground, they should get a small break now and then. 

"That's what age does to ya. If I was to age the way she did, I would be angry too," Karen scoffed. Tilly's jaw dropped as she looked over at her friend.

"Karen!" She gasped before the two of them laughed together. 

"Alright you two, I need to find Charles," Grace pardoned herself from the group. The two of them nodded at her before making cruel jokes about old miss Grimshaw again. Grace turned around, spotting Charles walking towards the fountain. "Charles!" She called out, grabbing his attention as she jogged over to greet him.

"How are you, Grace?" Charles asked with a small grin as she joined him. She nodded at him, assuring him she was fine.

"I'm good. Anyway, I was thinking of going hunting and I wan-"