Chapter 18

Night had overcome the camp, Grace swallowed back liquor as she poured it down her throat. She had gotten use to the taste, not wincing unlike the first sip. She watched as Arthur sat at the main camp, a bottle of whiskey in hand as he sat with John, Lenny and Reverend. Grace had been having a debate with herself whether to go over to them or not. She was still concerned to why Arthur hadn't taken her with them to go rob those horses when he had offered her to ride with them. The whole day both Arthur and Grace hadn't said a word to each other and Grace was confused to why they hadn't spoken. Every time Grace had attempted to he was off like a bullet, almost like he was avoiding her. Grace finally gave in, placing her bottle down on Pearson's cooking table where she had been standing. Grace strolled over casually, acting like she wasn't bothered by Arthur. Arthur knew she was there but ignored her, staring at the flames as they danced together calmly. 

"Eh, Grace! Have a seat!" The strong spanish voice of Javier rung out as she stood in front of the fire. Grace shook her head, politely dismissing.

"Sorry, not tonight. Arthur, we need to talk," Grace interrupted Arthur's thoughts or whatever he was doing. 

"Why?" Arthur asked before taking a sip from his bottle. "There's nothing to say."

Javier and Lenny both immediately felt the tension between Arthur and Grace, exchanging small glances to each other before sitting quietly. 

"I think there is," Grace hissed slightly, trying to remain civil. Arthur coughed before finally looking at her. His eyes showed no emotion, the flames reflecting in his eyes. 

"I know there ain't," Arthur snapped slightly. Grace frowned, growing annoyed with Arthur's attitude. "Now you going to sit or bother me?"

"What did I do to piss you off?" Grace asked harshly, her lips pursing tight together as she stared down at where he sat. Javier scratched the back of his neck before taking a sip from his drink. 

"Arthur, why don't you go talk to Grace?" Lenny interrupted, trying to get the two of them to cut the tension. Arthur looked across at Lenny, sitting up in his seat slightly.

"Why would I want to listen to her complain? All she does is complain," Arthur grunted, taking another drink. Grace felt her jaw tighten as anger pulsed through her. "Or she wants somethin' like now, she wants to talk."

"Arthur, what is wrong with you?" Javier groaned, looking at him in slight disgust. Reverend stayed quiet, quietly singing to himself. "This isn't necessary, you're acting like a child!"

"Why don't you, Javier? I know you fancy her," Arthur spat before getting up from his seat. Javier shook his head in disgust.

"This is why he shouldn't drink," Javier muttered quietly but loud enough for everyone to hear. 

"Neither should I but here I am!" Reverend slurred. Everyone looked at him before he fell off of the log and onto the ground, passing out. Grace sighed, rubbing her forehead with her hand. She noticed Arthur walking away and Grace quickly crossed between Lenny and Javier, walking fast to catch up to him.

"Arthur," Grace called out. Arthur kept walking, ignoring her. "Arthur!" Arthur finally stopped, turning around to face her.

"What?" Arthur grunted once again.

"Can we talk?" Grace asked again.

"Well, you going to say it?" Arthur spat, growing impatient. Grace stared at him, shaking her head slightly before continuing. 

"Are you avoiding me? You didn't even want me to come on the horse robbery today and every time I go to talk to you, you're gone. Tell me what I've done and I'll-"

"You ain't done anything. I told you that you deserve better than me."

"So what? You're going to pretend I don't exist?" Grace questioned, her voice shook with frustration. Arthur took another drink before shaking the bottle lightly, ensuring there was more to drink. 

"Grace, I think it's best we don't talk only when we really need to. If we continue to go how we had been, we'd both catch feelings and don't try telling me we wouldn't," Arthur sighed. Grace could tell he had attempted to try and make that sound nicer than what he intended. Grace felt her heart sink in her chest as she watched him. He stood there silently. 

"I don't get you at all," Grace spat harshly. Arthur looked away, trying to avoid eye contact. Grace grew angry, pushing him. He didn't budge, still not looking at her. "Damnit Arthur it ain't just you feeling something!" Grace's voice broke as she was on the verge of tears. Arthur still continued to not look at her, still no emotion showing. Grace felt a tear roll onto her cheek and she quickly wiped it away before marching off towards her horse. She knew Arthur was watching her now. She swung herself up into the saddle before forcing her horse into a gallop. 

"Hey! Where are you going?" Grace heard Bill's voice ring out as she galloped through the bush, leaving the camp. She heard Bill cuss in annoyance behind her as her and her horse launched out of the bush, not following the path and immediately galloping into the open space. As they galloped Grace found herself to be crying, not even realising how broken she felt. Grace had realised she may have loved Arthur from how upset she had become. She knew that always thinking about him meant something. The cool night air stung her face but dried her tears as the wind pushed against her skin, her hair flowing behind her. While they galloped she looked up at the bright stars that plastered the dark sky, brightening the darkness. Grace looked back in front of her, fear pulsing through her when she realised the was inches away from running into a wagon. She pulled on the reins, her horse stopping harshly causing her to fall over her horse's shoulder. She heard her horse let out a shriek and caught a glimpse of her horse running far away. Grace grunted and groaned as she laid in the dusty road. She hadn't realised they had crossed the field that far that she found another road. She closed her eyes softly, trying to calm herself down before opening her eyes to be staring up the barrel of a shotgun. Grace rolled her eyes.

"You've got to be kidding me," she muttered when she noticed the face she was staring at. "I believe I told you to be careful next time."

The man holding the shotgun moved his aim away from her face, looking down at her. He chuckled, looking over his shoulder at more raiders. 

"You won't believe this! I got that bitch that put a knife in me!" He shouted, his friends chuckling as they gathered around. "I say we take her with us, the boss will want to meet her."

Grace felt hands grab her arms, forcing her to her feet. She squirmed, trying to break free.

"Let go of me!" Grace hissed before spitting on the man's boot. Without hesitation he brought a fist across her face causing Grace's lip to split and bleed. She could taste her blood, her vision blurred from the impact before she felt herself being dragged towards the wagon that had caused this all. She continued to try and break free, an instinct of hers was to reach for her revolver but she had left all her weapons at camp. "Let. Go!" Grace panted through attempts of squirming. She felt the strong arms lift her up into the back of the wagon. Grace felt herself shoved down, sitting on someones lap. She tried to struggle away but he held her tight, his grip burning her skin.

"What's wrong lady? Don't you want to sit on my lap?" He laughed sickly. Grace immediately regretted her actions in leaving the camp because now she was in trouble.

"And what? You want to get killed like your friends?" Grace spat as she stopped squirming. She felt the wagon begin to move. Her world turned dark as a sack was pulled over her head, stopping her from watching where they went.

"Can't have you seeing where we're takin' ya!" Another one grunted as he placed the sack roughly over her head. She felt her wrists being tied together with rope. Grace knew all she could do now was cooperate until she had an opportunity to try and escape.