Chapter 45

The two women galloped back into shady bell, riding the horses over the bridge and stopping by the fountain. Immediately Sadie ran over with Reverend close behind her.

"What's wrong? What's happened?" Sadie flooded them with questions. The two of them dismounted, Abigail's hands placed on either side of her face as she began to panic.

"Hosea...John..." Abigail started, stuttering. Sadie frowned, growing more concerned.

"Hosea got shot getting us out of there. The Pinkertons and lawmen were waiting," Grace explained, speaking fast. Reverend's hands clenched by his sides as he grew angry.

"Okay. What we need to do is get out of here," Sadie announced. She turned to Reverend, pointing at him. "Find everyone and get them packing, we need to get out of here now!" Sadie ordered. Reverend nodded, muttering cusses under his breath as he ran towards the house. "Abigail, Jack is upstairs playing with Karen and Cain. Go get him and get him ready," Sadie informed. Abigail nodded before running off without a word. Grace shook her head in shock.

"We had to leave him... he told us to," Grace began, shock taking over her. "I tried to help him but he refused. It should've been me," Grace muttered. Sadie shook her head at her. 

"Look, Grace. Hosea will be okay, they'll question him. They don't have full proof it was him who did it. Right now, I need your help on getting us out of here. Can you do that?" Sadie questioned. Grace nodded at her which Sadie placed a hand on her shoulder, thanking her. "Thank you. Can you get those horses and attach them to Pearson's Wagon?" Sadie asked, looking at the horses Abigail and Grace rode in on. Grace nodded and without a word she went back to the horses, grabbing their reins and leading them towards his wagon.

-

Night took over Shady Bell, the men still hadn't returned. Sadie sighed before standing up on the log by what was left of the campfire.

"We need to leave, now. They will catch up," Sadie informed. Everyone nodded, Abigail leading Jack towards one of the wagon's. Grace frowned as she heard hooves rushing towards the camp. She held her revolver by her side, squinting in the dark. 

"Hey! Anyone here?" Charles' voice was heard. Grace smiled with relief.

"Charles! You're back!" Grace called out, welcoming him. He waved to her before riding his horse into the camp. 

"We need to go, Pinkertons will be here any second. Good to see you are all ready," Charles grinned, looking up at Sadie who was sitting in the driver's seat of one wagon. Sadie nodded, looking back at the rest of the wagons, checking everyone had loaded in. Everyone had and she ordered the horses to ride out of Shady Bell. As Sadie led the wagons out of camp, Grace jumped up onto her horse. "I know a place called Lakay, it's not far from here. It'll do until we figure things out," Charles informed. Sadie nodded down at him.

"Lead the way," She insisted. Charles rode ahead as the remaining gang followed him. Grace trailed close behind him, not even wanting to know what happened in Saint Denis but really wanted to ask. She was afraid they all got killed except for Charles but deep down she knew that wasn't the case. Charles would've been killed too, no one would have been left alive. The gang travelled in the dark, staying far away from Saint Denis as possible and sticking to the more quiet roads. They travelled for a while, through the bush land and into the swamps before Charles stopped, holding a hand up to signal everyone to stop. Grace frowned, riding up beside him. She knew what had caught his attention. Up ahead in Lakay there were lights and a campfire. This place was alive.

"Shit," Grace muttered. Charles sighed before looking down at Sadie who had joined them on foot. 

"Guess we get them out," Sadie sighed. Charles hesitated before nodding in agreement, they had no where else to go. "Reverend, Susan, make sure everyone stays down," Sadie called back out. Charles and Grace dismounted, Grace grabbed her litch field repeated from off of her saddle. The three of them walked into the small swampy area where the buildings were slowly deteriorating.