Chapter 13

"Miss! Miss, wake up," a voice softly awoken Grace, Grace opening her eyes to see Karen sitting on her cot at the end of her feet. A grin grew when she realised Grace had woken. "Ah good! Come on get up," Karen cheered, jumping to her feet. Grace's eyebrows furrowed down in confusion. She didn't know if she had missed something or if she was still dreaming. 

"What? Where are we going?" Grace asked after yawning. Karen rested her hands on her hips, looking down at Grace who was still in her cot. 

"To rob the bank," Karen answered. 

"The bank? Dutch told us no weapons in Rhodes," Grace reminded. Sure, the gang needed money but they also had to follow Dutch's orders. 

"The Valentine bank," Karen added. Grace stared at Karen in disbelief, the woman standing before her seeming overly confident. Karen shook her head harshly, scratching her chin.

"No. Karen, after what happened in Valentine... no. It's too risky," Grace maintained her ground. Karen however was not having it. Karen grabbed Grace's arm, forcing her out of the cot. Grace scolded her as a grin appeared on Karen's face.

"There! You're up now let's go," Karen cheered. Before Grace could argue any further with Karen, Karen had already began leading Grace towards Bill and Lenny who were standing by a wagon. Grace watched as Lenny jumped down from the drivers seat, waving at the two women.

"We got the dresses Miss Jones!" Lenny called out. Grace looked at Karen. Grace looked back at Lenny who pointed to the packages in the back of the wagon. "Just what you ordered."

"Good," Karen cheered. 

"Can someone tell me what is going on?" Grace asked, still confused. Karen turned to Grace, her mouth slightly parting as words almost rang out before Bill interrupted her.

"Arthur! Arthur, get over here," Bill called out, sitting down on the back of the wagon. Karen looked over Grace's shoulder at Arthur before letting out a small side and joining Bill. Grace followed Karen in hope that maybe she would get some understanding on this robbery.

"What is it?" Arthur grunted out as he joined the group. Arthur looked at Grace, giving her a small nod of greeting. Grace gave a small grin to him before he turned his attention back to Bill.

"We got something cooking you might be interested in," Bill explained before hopping out the back. Grace noticed dynamite in the back of the wagon, Lenny and Bill must've picked up some when they went to Rhodes for Karen's dresses. 

"Am I gonna like the sound of this?" Arthur questioned as he sighed, following Bill as Bill walked away from the wagon. 

"Been cooking since Horseshoe, but you went and kicked up all that commotion in Valentine. Now, we was preparing to rob the bank there until you got involved in all that nonsense and-" Grace watched as Karen began to pace a little as Arthur began to grow a look of annoyance. "-I don't know, it just feels like unfinished business."

"That wasn't my fault. It was just one of them things," Arthur argued. 

"How come every time I get in trouble I'm called a fool and an idiot, but when you get in trouble 'oh, it's just one of them things'?" Bill questioned, growing agitated. Arthur chuckled, shaking his head. 

"It's a good point, Arthur," Lenny defended Bill. Grace looked over to see Lenny leaning on the nearby hitching post.

"A very good point," Karen added. Karen looked at Arthur with a hopeful look in her eyes as Arthur began to look defeated. Arthur looked at Grace which she shrugged at him, wanting to stay out of this. 

"Alright, well what do you all want me to do?" Arthur questioned, finally sounding interested. 

"Hit the goddamn bank with us!" Karen cheered excitedly. Arthur chuckled.