Chapter 43

A few days later.

Grace pushed the doors open to Dutch's room before marching through his room to his balcony. Grace rounded the corner of the door to find Dutch and Hosea sitting together. Grace's mouth opened as she prepared to lecture them before Dutch cut her off.

"No," Dutch butted immediately. Hosea nodded in agreement with Dutch. Grace crossed her arms over her chest.

"It's healed."

"It's healing," Hosea corrected. Dutch gave Hosea a smirk before looking back at Grace.

"You ain't coming on the robbery," Dutch stated. Grace shook her head at him in denial.

"Over my damn dead body," she argued. Dutch sighed as Hosea scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, knowing Grace wasn't done. "Look, I don't need to go in the bank. I just want to help," Grace offered. Dutch and Hosea both shook their heads at her in unison. Grace sighed, stomping a foot lightly in annoyance. "It ain't fair. Charles helped out in the mountains with a bad hand-"

"That was a different situation," Dutch informed, holding a hand up to stop her. "We needed all the help we could get and that boy would not take no as an answer."

"And neither will I!" Grace stated. Hosea chuckled slightly as he lifted himself from the chair he sat on. He looked down at Dutch as he stood up, stretching his back.

"She's all yours," Hosea joked before walking past Grace and out the doors, leaving the two of them. Grace sighed as she moved to the seat Hosea had just left, sitting down beside Dutch. 

"What do you plan on doing if you ain't goin' to go in the bank?" Dutch asked with a long sigh. Grace grinned slightly, almost jumping out of her seat in joy. Dutch caught hint of her excitement and held a finger up to her. "If you ride with us."

"I was thinking I either help Hosea and Abigail with the distraction or," Grace paused as she scanned Dutch's face as he took note of her idea. "Or I wait by the bridge into Saint Denis that is the closest to Saint Denis and wait for Hosea and Abigail to get out of there and I can get them home safely."

"Both roles are important and extremely hands on..." Dutch explained before motioning down to her hip. "A hip is different to a hand, Grace."

"I...I know," Grace caught herself before bursting into another lecture. The two of them stayed quiet for a bit before Dutch finally spoke again. 

"I suppose either could work. Hosea and I will discuss together what you should do and what would be best," Dutch nodded as he informed Grace. Grace laughed happily before hugging Dutch. Dutch chuckled at her, patting her back with a hand. 

"Thank you!" Grace cheered before pulling away. Dutch tried his hardest not to grin but she could see the smirk playing on his lips. Grace jumped up from her chair, heading towards the doors that led back into his room. "I mean it, Dutch. Thank you," she thanked again. Dutch nodded and with that Grace walked away from the balcony. She stopped halfway through the room, feeling a heavy weight sink down on her. She hadn't told Dutch she was leaving after the robbery. Something inside of her was telling her to tell him, things could be worse for her if she just disappears. But then she also didn't want to tell him because she was afraid of what he would do. Grace knew what was best to do, even if it meant things going bad. She found herself turning back around and walking back out onto the balcony. Dutch frowned when he saw her walk back out.