Chapter 34

"Javier! You busy?" Grace called out, pushing the doors open to see Javier by the fountain talking with Bill. They both looked over, Bill placed a hand on the Mexican's shoulder before picking up his gun that rested against the fountain base, leaving him and Grace to talk.

"No. You need a hand with something?" He asked as she joined him. Grace gave him a nod, motioning to the horses. He followed her action, stepping beside her as they walked together to the horses.

"I'm going into Saint Denis to check the mail, see if I've spiked anyone's interest in the horses. I would do it alone but with what Dutch has planned, it would be good to not go alone," Grace explained as they walked. Javier stopped, Grace stopping a few steps ahead of him and turning to look back at him.

"Good idea, we should bring someone else just to be on the safe side. Marston!" Javier called back into the camp, waving a hand over at John. John looked over from the scout fire. "Come on, we're going into Saint Denis!"

John joined them, looking at them both.

"What's going on?" John asked as they all continued to their horses. Grace explained what she was doing and why she thought it was a good idea to bring them along. Like Javier, John agreed. "Sounds good. So Dutch is going ahead with Bronte's plan?" John grunted, hating the Italian man. Grace nodded, causing John to sigh with annoyance. "I don't like him. Jack won't stop talking about how great he is."

"Javier and I don't trust him either, so at least ya secret safe with us," Grace winked as she reached her horse. She petted the steed's neck.

"si," Javier added as he swung up into the saddle on his horse.

"Ain't no secret, I don't know what Dutch sees in that son of a bitch," John grunted as he gathered his reins. Grace waved them to follow behind her which they did, trotting out of the camp and past the walls into the swamp.

"Dutch needs money so we can leave, that's what he sees. Bronte seemed to have a good lead on that train station," Grace explained, John muttering something about Bronte under his breath before speaking up again.

"Well, let's just say Bronte was lucky Dutch stayed with him when Arthur and I went and had a shootout in the graveyard. If it were me, the second Dutch and Arthur walked out the door my hands would've been squeezing the life out of that bastards eyes," John grunted as the group moved into a steady canter as they pushed out of the swamp and onto the main road, the Saint Denis bridge coming into view. 

"Keep in mind amigo, you weren't able to get off the mountain alone in the snow. Perhaps it wouldn't have been that easy to take out Bronte," Javier chuckled. Grace laughed with him. "It's all a joke, I know you would kill him quick with that anger in you," Javier added, John then laughing.

"Alright you two, we're coming up to the bridge. Let's try and be in and out as quick as possible," Grace explained as her horse's hooves met the wood of the bridge, the sound changing. Javier and John both agreed, she knew John hated Saint Denis and was more than happy to leave.

"Oh come on, Grace! We've only had a few!" John chuckled. Grace rolled her eyes in annoyance, her elbow supporting her head in her hand as she watched over Javier and John who were drinking. She hadn't even managed to open the letter she had received before the two of them had dragged her off to the expensive Brothel. The only reason they were here was because coincidentally there had to be a sign outside the train station that said the drinks were cheaper than usual for a few days. A working girl with a pretty face and jet black hair approached Javier from behind, placing a soft hand on his shoulder. He looked at her hand from the seat he sat in before his eyes trailed up her arm and up to the face of the quite beautiful woman.