Chapter 58

Around midday the following day, Micah walks back into the house except this time he wasn't alone. Grace stared at the two men she had never seen before walk in behind him, one was thin and tall and the other was more bulky. 

"Good to see you remembered me," Grace hissed as Micah walked into the room. Micah chuckled, sitting down at the table immediately, his two friends accompanied him by standing by his side. They both peered down at Grace. 

"I only remembered you because of our situation," Micah reminded. She knew that was true, Micah always put himself first before others. Micah motioned to the two men, "Meet Cleet," he announced first, motioning to the skinny tall man. "-and Joe. We rode together once and now they're here."

"So what, Dutch is just accepting anyone into the gang now?" Grace spat in disgust. She knew if they were friends of Micah, they were bad news. No one would ever be Micah's friend unless you're just as horrible as him. 

"Well, no," Micah began. "I'm introducing him to them today, figured he can't turn them down since they would already be there." He got up, turning to one of the shelves in the kitchen and grabbing a flask. "Since me and Dutch are pretty close now, he'll probably let them stay anyway," he continued before taking a drink from the flask. He screwed the cap back on, stretching it out for Grace to take. Grace's hands immediately reached up as far as she could, he thirst was terrible. Surprisingly, Micah didn't reef it away from her, instead he allowed her to have a drink. Grace quickly unscrewed the cap and took a drink, her dehydration taking over her as she felt she had almost drunk the whole flask. The water comforted her, the only comfort she had since Micah and the Pinkertons surprised her. "They're going to act as if they're helping with Dutch's big plan but really they're my body guards."

"Body guards?" Grace repeated as she threw the now empty flask away, Micah scolding at her before pushing Cleet to grab it off of the ground. "Mr. Twig arms and Mr. Act tough don't seem very intimidating," Grace muttered as she observed the two strangers. Joe frowned in anger at her. Grace watched Cleet in the corner of her eye, watching him carefully. She watched him bend down to grab the empty flask and she quickly kicked him hard in the knee, forcing him to fall down in pain. He yelped out in pain and before Micah could act, she managed to get the chain holding her cuffs together over his neck, threatening to choke him. Micah eased off, immediately telling Joe to remove his hand that was hovering for his gun. Cleet squirmed as he attempted to free himself but he failed as Grace held him closer to her, sinking the chain deeper onto his neck. "You're going to let me go or I'll strangle this idiot to death," Grace threatened. Micah shook his head at her, assuming she was joking. To show she wasn't she began to choke him with the chain, causing him to gurgle. 

"Micah, do something!" Joe hissed at him, staring at Grace in horror. He probably didn't think someone like her could be capable of doing something like that. She felt Cleet's hands wrap around her wrists as she continued to strangle him. 

"Grace, don't do this," Micah warned, holding a hand up to calm her. Her grip tightened causing Cleet to look at Micah and Joe with wide eyes. "If you kill him, you'll never leave." Grace stared at Micah, she knew he was right. She had to obey him if she wanted to get out of here alive, if that was even going to happen. She sighed with regret as she lifted her hands away from the man's neck, kicking him away from her. He immediately crawled over to Micah and Joe. "Get up you fool!" Micah hissed at Cleet, grabbing his arm and pulling him to his feet. Cleet wobbled on his feet as he held his neck, gasping as he engulfed air. 

"These fools won't protect you," Grace hissed at Micah, grabbing his attention from his idiot friend and on to her. "If I can take them on while chained up, anyone can."

"You caught him off guard," Micah defended which Cleet nodded in agreement. 

"And so will Arthur when he finds out what you're up to," Grace threatened. Micah grinned slyly, she knew she caught him there but he tried his best to hide it. He took a step closer to her. "He won't be the only one, one by one everyone will catch on, even Dutch. You ain't sly Micah, you're a rat."