Chapter 27

"What do you mean my tent broke? How?" Grace hissed as she walked around from the side pf her tent she was pinning into the ground with a hammer. She dropped the hammer on the ground in anger as she joined Javier and Bill's side. Bill pointed to the massive rip that would not cover her from the weather whatsoever. "How the hell did that happen?"

"Shit, I don't know!" Bill gruffed as he marched off in annoyance. Grace turned quickly as she watched Bill march away and pick up his gun, leaving her and Javier to try and fix the tent themselves. 

"Useless he is!" Grace muttered. Javier chuckled lightly as he shook his head softly to himself.

"You aren't going to want to hear this..." he began. Grace spun around to face him, noticing he only had two pegs in his hands. Grace had only put one in the ground so she knew one was missing. "It must've fell out on the way. Maybe ripped the material on it's fall," Javier suggested his theory. Grace folded her arms across her chest, frowning. "It's done for."

"Yeah, I see that," Grace muttered, angry that this had happened. Grace paced away a bit before stopping. "Shit!" She almost shouted. She bit her lower lip as she ran a hand through her brown hair before turning around back to Javier as he began to speak again.

"Maybe Susan could put you inside? With Karen, Tilly and the other women," Javier suggested. Grace watched as he took the peg out of the ground that she had hammered in, seeing no point to having the useless tent set up. 

"Anything will be better than bunking with Micah," Grace joked, looking over at him who sat by the fire as Javier called out for Susan who must have been inside. Javier looked at Grace and gave her a grin, also sharing an understanding nod.

"I am great company, according to many," Micah called out, sadly hearing Grace's joke. Grace rolled her eyes and she heard him stand up with a grunt. "As the ladies say, if you catch my drift," he chuckled. Grace winced in cringe as the man slithered over to her, standing directly beside her, his body facing hers as she still faced Javier. "You could always give it a shot, a strong woman like you needs a strong man like me. Not Mr. Morgan," Micah hissed, his breath on her neck. Grace tilted her head slightly, biting inside the corner of her mouth as she spun on her hell, twisting around to face him, her faces inches away from him.

"I don't like men who think they're higher than others, Mr. Bell," Grace hissed, Javier chuckling as Micah took a step back, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"The offer still stands, ma'am," Micah pushed as Susan strolled over to Javier and Grace, Micah walking back to the fire as he chuckled to himself.

"Susan! Grace's tent is no good no more, I was hoping there might be room in the house for her," Javier explained as Susan took the tent material from Javier's hands, unravelling Javier's poor folding skills as she scanned the rip. Grace could see Susan's eye peek out through the rip, causing her to smile as it looked humorous. 

"Well, it's very limited space in there. But, I suppose I could find some more space," Susan accepted Javier's request, handing him back the material for him to fold again. Susan approached Grace, placing a hand on her shoulder as she guided her to the house. "There wasn't much furniture left in this trash house but I'm sure we can sort something out," Susan assured as she pushed the side doors open that led into the plantation house. Grace looked around the room she stood in which had a table in the centre and a long lounge under a window. "I was thinking you could sleep in here with Miss Gaskill..." Susan trailed off before she gasped as an idea came to her mind. "No, follow me. No one is in..." Susan began as she left the room and crossed towards another that had a large piano in it. Grace had only seen these in the saloons and brothels. She walked over to it, running her fingers gently over the keys. "-here! It's not the best but I'm sure if we bring your cot in here we could make it work. Dutch said we won't be here for long so it will only be for a few nights," Susan explained. Grace looked up at her from the piano, she wish she knew how to play. She nodded at Susan. Susan grinned happily. "Well, I'll go get your things, you wait here!" She chirped as she turned around to leave the plantation house, quickly stopping herself from crashing into Dutch. "Oh! Dutch, you're back!" Susan started as she stepped aside, letting Dutch enter as Arthur followed. Dutch nodded to Grace as she looked at him.