Chapter 5

Iyana's POV

Be still my pounding heart. I whispered to myself as I discreetly rubbed my chest with the hope that I'd actually calm my furiously beating heart. My boss invited me to the birthday stuff his friends were throwing for him. I have met his friends before. They seemed okay. I didn't know much about what to expect but just tje fact that he invited me after I heard him say no I don't have a date made me swoon like a little birdie. It didn't matter to me at that moment that he wasn't that interested in me. All I cared about was the fact that he invited me. He could have invited one of the numerous people he sent flowers to but he chose me.

Probably because you were the one at hand at the moment a voice whispered but it didn't matter. I had the opportunity to go out with this amazing man. The fact that he invited me to a private affair just showed he trusted me to a reasonable degree. I liked that. I texted my mum and told her I will be out later than planned so that she wouldn't be worried and told her to kiss my baby for me.

There was an awkward silence in the car but I didn't care. I couldn't even find it in me to talk too much. I was tongue-tied. This was much closer than working together. Little me couldn't stop dancing and swooning in my heart. Nothing could bring down my shine.

I looked up when he cleared his throat. "Do you like kids?" he asked as he fiddled with the radio and turned on a music channel.

"I adore them." I replied with a smile as my mind flew back to Amari. I let my answer end there. I didn't want him to lose interest in me being his partner for the night just because I said I have a kid. Very few men want anything to do with a woman that has a kid.

"That's awesome because Keith and Danica have kids and they're monsters. They're not shy and will climb into your purse if they can. So beware." he completed and I nodded.

"It doesn't matter. I find their antics adorable."

"Are you allergic to fur or anything?"

"No."

"That's also good to know. Because that place is a zoo and an allergic person will sneeze immediately he steps into the sitting room." I nodded again and screamed at myself. Make a conversation you lipzipped human. Don't let him say everything.

"Dog or cats?" I asked and then smacked myself. Obviously dogs.

"Dogs. I don't mind cats but I'm owned by two beautiful dogs. Bubbles and Peaches. They're amazing. Peaches is new but she's settling in well. Bubbles is getting used to not being the only woman in my life but she's doing great. You?"

"Both actually. I like cute furry animals. Dogs, cats, bunnies, hamsters, birds, ferrets, guinea pigs. I'd have an alpaca if that was possible but it's not. I find goats, chickens and pigs cute but I can't have them as pets because I'm not a vegetarian. I'd feel too guilty." I rambled and then I felt my face heat up in embarrassment when he laughed out loud.

"I'm not vegetarian either, so I'd feel to guilty keeping a goat pet. However I do want you to take a deep breath and relax. You're nervous. There's no need. Tonight, we're not employer and employee alright?"

I nodded and took deep breaths. I didn't need to be nervous. I didn't know why I was. He made small talk and I contributed and that helped me relax after a while. He told me to call him Leo. He insisted. No sir, no boss, nothing. Just Leo. I liked Leo even though it sounded foreign coming from my mouth. When he cleared in front of his friend's house, it took a lot for my jaw not to drop. The place was huge and beautiful.

"So we will be accosted by humans soon. My friends are crazy, so prepare yourself for a whole new level of crazy. They're fun too, so don't be nervous. They're cool people so you have nothing to fear alright?"