Epilogue

Leo's POV

I sat up with a start almost immediately it registered in my mind that it was the sound of a crying baby that woke me up.

"Babe." I croaked as soon as I woke up and Iyana hummed before changing position. I heard a snore indicating she had slept off again. I didn't know I fell asleep again until an angry wail from an angry baby woke us up at the same and had us scrambling out of bed. I felt sluggish because I hadn't slept well in days. It felt like the baby woke up immediately we managed to fall asleep.

"Lemme wash my hands." She said before disappearing into the bathroom while I picked the baby. At 3 weeks old, he had the loudest pair of lungs I had ever come across in newborns. Alistair Zayne Harper was born on a Saturday morning with a head full of hair and his birth changed my life completely. He was all white and wrinkly but it was love at first sight for me. It was the happiest day of my life and I shed a few tears.

I looked up when Iyana rushed back in as fast as she could and settled down in a comfortable position. "Sorry. Sorry. I'm sorry." She said softly as she took him from me and got him to latch on properly and finally, there was peace. Watching Iyana breastfeed our son did funny things to my chest.

"Babe. You okay? You look worse than you did before you slept."

"I feel like I'm about to keel over from exhaustion. The past few weeks have been..." I paused to find the appropriate word to describe what I felt.

"Hell?" She asked with an uneasy smile and I shook my head and took her hand in mine.

"Never. I was going to say amazing. Exhausting, yes. But also amazing because he's worth the sleepless nights."

"He is, isn't he?" She asked and I nodded. We fell into a comfortable silence. After sometime, she switched to the other breast.

"Does it hurt?" I found myself asking when he began sucking again. During her last trimester, her breasts became a no-go area because of how full and sore they felt.

"What? Breastfeeding? No. Not when he latches properly."

Just then, Amari walked in rubbing her eyes and holding Winnie, her constant companion.

"Hi Pumpkin. You okay? Do you need anything?"

She shook her head as she silently got into the bed. I was too exhausted to sit at her bedside while waiting for her to fall asleep. It took months to get her used to sleeping alone all night long in her room down the hall but sone days, she still crawled into our bed in the wee hours of the morning.

Two months after we got engaged, I moved back into the house I grew up in and I sold the old house. It took months of asking before Iyana finally agreed to move in with me. She was far advanced in her pregnancy and it was easier for me to keep an eye on her that way. For her, the best part of the house was the pool. It's bigger than the one in my old house and had a kiddie pool attached to it. For an unknown reason, that made her extremely happy.

Amari was quick enough to choose her own room and when they moved in, she spent the day excited by the prospect of sleeping in her new room.

However, as night time approached, she was no longer as excited. Iyana and I deliberately left our door wide open that night just incase Amari had troubles sleeping and as predicted, she did. Over time, it got better. But occasionally, she still crawled into our bed.

It didn't take long before she fell back asleep. I rubbed my temples and closed my eyes because my headache came back with a vengeance. My insomnia has been bad since the baby was born. I knew I was really pushing myself but I didn't like the thought of sleeping incase she needed my help with something and that kept me awake on most nights. So I either didn't sleep at all until day time or I slept very lightly. It has been a while since I slept with the help of the prescribed sleeping pills and I was really tempted to take the usual dosage. My only concern was sleeping so deep I wouldn't know if she needed anything.