Chapter 35

I battled with fatigue as I tried to find the file Leo told me to get for him. I just wanted to find a corner and pass out for hours but I didn't have that luxury. I was in charge of planning the holiday party and it was a pain in my behind.

I could hear Leo shuffling around behind me as he did whatever it was he was doing. I leaned my head against the cabinet and sighed. It was just Wednesday and I was already tired and could barely wait for Friday to come. I groaned again and then closed my eyes because the floor was cool and I liked it.

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up to Leo shaking me awake.

"Babe don't sleep on the floor. We're at the office not at home...are you okay?" He asked and I shook my head and curled into myself as tears burned behind my closed eyes. I didn't feel okay. I felt terrible. I felt sick and I was tired. I just wanted to go home and sleep.

"What's up Iyana? Do you want to take the rest of the week off?" He asked and I opened my eyes to look at him.

"Can I do that?" I asked softly and he smiled at me.

"Yeah. You can. I can manage on my own. Is it the gastritis? Do you have cramps? I have chocolate and antacid tablets somewhere, just in case you want some."

"I haven't gotten my period yet." I muttered and then a chill raced up my spine the very moment his eyes widened. "Oh God...you don't think...Shit! Oh God.."

"I thought you said you are regular." He asked as I frantically tried to unlock my phone with shaky hands. I succeeded at the fourth trial.

"I am." I said as I opened the period tracker. 14 days late. 14 fucking days late. A whole two weeks late. I began hyperventilating. Breathe Iyana. Calm down I told myself but I wasn't succeeding.

"Iyana breathe. Why are you panicking this badly? Just breathe with me." Leo said with urgency in his voice and I tried to do what. I followed his voice and instructions and minutes later, I could breathe well again.

"Why did you panic like that?" He asked as he patted my back and I didn't know what to say to him. After seeing the way he panicked the first time we had unprotected sex, I'd reassured him that I wasn't going to get pregnant and even convinced him to go bare one more time. He didn't want a baby because he wasn't completely ready to have one and I had been so sure that nothing was going to happen. But there I was, feeling fatigued and missing a period.

"I'm sorry. I was so sure I wasn't going to.. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I blubbered as I tried to wipe my wet face and he just hugged me.

"Why exactly are you crying?"

"I don't know. I was so sure there was nothing to be worried about. I'm sorry."

"Relax. It's fine."

"No it's not." I wailed and he chuckled.

"Seriously Iyana. It's fine. I'm fine now. After my initial panic, I'm back to my usual baby fever self."

"You had baby fever?"

"I fucking swear. For years now. My first child would have been older than Amari if I'd settled down when I had initially planned to. So you should be more worried about yourself than me."

"I'm fine...I think...can I leave early today? I need to get a test kit just to be sure." I said as I dried my wet face. He nodded and stood up before helping me to my feet.

"I'll come with you if you don't mind." He said as he pulled a chocolate bar out of his pocket while he pressed the power button on his laptop. I nodded and then left the office. Putting my things together, I looked up when I heard approaching footsteps and immediately grew wary when I saw who it was. Keith.