Chapter 25

I did a small victory dance in my head when I cleared the level of the game I was playing on my phone. It was a Wednesday and I was at work but it wasn't a busy day for me. I was not that busy but Leo was busy with the private meeting he was having. Apparently, someone was stealing from his hotel business. I locked my phone and closed my eyes and just before I could fall asleep, the desk phone rang and startled me awake.

"Sir?" I said into the mouthpiece when I picked up.

"Yana get me the hotels' accounting records for 2016 to date." He said and then the line went dead. I stared at the phone for some seconds before dropping it. I found the said records and then took them to him. He looked really upset about the whole thing. He dismissed me and I went back to my desk and doodled on a paper in an attempt to look busy.

22 minutes later, the visitor left and I wanted to go in and ask him if I could do anything to help him feel better but I didn't know if he wanted to be around me at the moment. So I stayed put. If he wanted me around, he'd call right?

Well. He didn't call. He didn't say anything. When it was time to leave, I told him I was leaving and he just said bye and the next day, he didn't come to work neither did he come on Friday. I sent a text and he replied with I'm fine, thank you. He didn't reply my subsequent messages. He was obviously shutting me out as usual. Overtime, I came to realise that Leo shuts people out including his family and friends. He'd have a problem but he won't tell anyone. He will just stay and keep quiet and leave it in his heart until he gets over it. If you ask questions a lot, he'd snap at you and end up saying something hurtful which he would regret and apologise for and he did all these things just to keep you out of his business. That would explain why he wouldn't tell me why he's scared of getting naked before me, why he wouldn't let me touch him like I wanted to, why he stayed away from work and shut me out and why no one knew about his body thing; not even his best friends.

Our relationship was 6 weeks old or so, so I didn't know if I had a right to poke or ask him why he wouldn't talk to me, especially not after the last time I did and he said I shouldn't nag him about the issue that time.

I sighed and looked at Amari when she touched my face with her small hands. "Mummy?"

"Yes Honey?" We were doing the usual bedtime routine which included talking about anything and all that happened during the day before sleeping.

"Don't be sad."

Shit! This girl is an Angel. I kissed her palm and nodded. "I won't be. But I'm not sad. I can't be sad when I have you as my little Princess."

"Do you think Leo will let me see him? I like his eyes." She asked as she looked at me with big eyes. My God. It's happening

"I don't know honey. And he's Mr Leo to you, not Leo." I said in reply and she just gave me a big nod.

"Okay. So Mr Leo let me touch his hair and he carried me like Immi's dad carries her. I like him and I like his hair. And he said he has big doggies. I want to see them." She continued and my heart broke all over again. Praying for a daddy has been a constant prayer point for her for a while now and it made me sad that no matter how hard I tried to be both father and mother to her, it would never be enough or amount to having an actual dad. It then occurred to me that I didn't even know how dads are supposed to act because I grew up without one and so I was probably doing a messed up job at it.

"I know. But Mr Leo is very busy. I don't know if he will have time to see you." I hated disappointing her but it was better to do it then than later.

"Oh." She said in disappointment and then pulled Winnie closer to her by his ears. "That's alright I guess."

"I love you baby." I said before kissing her forehead and covering her properly. "Love you too. Good night mummy."