Chapter 15

I woke up to my phone ringing. I fumbled around in search of it before I finally found and picked it up. "Hello?" I said as I yawned without checking the caller ID. First thing I heard was Amari crying in the background. I sat up with a start and sleep cleared from my eyes.

"Amari? Mum? What's wrong?" I asked as my heartbeat sped up.

"Amari keep quiet." my mum said from the other end and she got louder.

"Mum stop upsetting her. What is going?" I asked again as I began breathing easy. My mum snapping at her to keep quiet meant that she had whatever it was in control...I think.

"A stray cat." she said with a sigh and I let out a breath. Just a stray cat.

"What happened to a stray cat?"

"There's a stray cat in the yard."

"Oh..."

"Yeah. And she has been crying since I tried chasing it away."

"Don't do that mum. It could be feral. What if it bites you? Wait. Does it have a collar on?" I asked as I scratched my back.

"Well I told her it could be feral but she has been crying since then. I figured she'd listen to you, that's why I called. Apparently she has been keeping food for it for the past 2 days...I just checked. It has a collar...that's so weird." she replied from the other end and I sighed and told her to give the phone to Amari.

"Baby..."

"Mummy? Mum-mum wants to send the kitty away." she cried from the other end and I almost laughed. Manipulative kid. She knew crying would get her anywhere.

"Baby the kitty may bite you and you'll be sick." I replied as I scratched my neck and wished I wasn't having a conversation with a crying Amari. What a way to start the morning, tears and sighs.

"But I don't want kitty to go away. Kitty's hungry."

"Mum-mum says you've been giving food to kitty without letting her know. I'll be back tomorrow and I'll do something about it."

"Nooooo. I want to keep him." she whined.

"Amari behave." I said in my mummy-is-angry voice and she quietened down. "I said I'll be back tomorrow morning and I'll take care of it." I completed and she sniffled and gave a quiet okay. I sighed again for the umpteenth time that morning. I didn't like it when she was sad. "Baby?"

"Hmm?"

"We can't keep a strange kitty. It may belong to someone. Mum-mum says it has a collar, that means he has an owner somewhere. It could belong to a little girl out there and she may be crying now looking for her kitty. You won't want to make another little girl cry will you?"

"No."

"When I get back, I'll do what I can alright?"

"Okay mummy."

"Behave for mum-mum. Listen to her and do what she says. Be a good girl okay?"

"Okay mummy." she replied and I asked her other questions and if she slept well and if she missed me and told her how much I missed her and that I loved her before telling her to give the phone to my mum. I told her to check the collar for the owners details and if it wasn't there, to ask around the neighborhood during the day to know if anyone had a missing cat or check online or something and then I disconnected. It was uncommon that a cat had a collar because owners usually avoid it because of the risks of strangulation.

After yawning and stretching to my heart's content, I got ready for the day. When I opened the door to leave my room, the mouthwatering smell of bacon said good morning to me. My tummy growled and I shushed it.