Chapter 18

Iyana's POV

Monday morning started off normally. I woke up and got Amari ready for school and I got ready for work while my mum made breakfast and then got ready for work. I dropped Amari off at school and made my way to work. I picked up Leo's suits from the dry cleaner and bought coffee. I got to work, dropped the coffee on his table and hung the clothes on the mini hanger and got to work.

Leo didn't come in until past 11am and by then, the coffee was already cold but that was not the problem. The problem was the fact that he was acting so unlike himself. He looked drained, like he stayed awake at night working or doing something more stressful instead of sleeping.

I asked a few times if he was okay and he said yes, he was fine and I got back to work. It was a very long and weird day. He kept snapping at me for no just cause and I honestly couldn't wait to go home because I didn't like people snapping at me, especially when I was sure I didn't deserve it. However I couldn't just leave him like that without trying to cheer him up, not after all he had done for me. It didn't settle well with me, not after what he had done to help me. I tried to understand that some days are off days for people and they're not usually at their best and that got me through the day.

When I knocked and opened the door around 6:30pm, he was pulling on his suit jacket and looked ready to go. I didn't exactly know how to talk to him while he was being that way, so I just took a deep breathe and exhaled slowly.

"Did you want something?" he asked in a lowtone and I nodded and cleared my throat.

"Yes. Uhm..since work is over, can I talk to you like we're normal people instead of employer/employee?"

"Sure. Sit down." He replied and I did and cleared my throat again while asking for the grace to say the right thing.

"What can I do to make you feel better?" I asked and he paused before shrugging.

"Nothing... I'm fine." he insisted and I shook my head.

"No you're not. I do what you're doing now a lot, so it's kind of easy to spot the rest of us. We know we're drowning in pain or worse inside but we insist that we're fine because you're scared of talking about the problem and that's completely fine. I'm not asking you to talk, I just want to know if and how I can make you feel better." I completed and almost cried because I was so happy I was able to talk to him normally and I didn't sound crappy.

He sighed and sat down. "We need to talk." he said as his shoulders fell. My stomach began knotting in anticipation of hearing something bad. "This thing we're doing? The whole 14 days for sex thing? Let's end it." he completed and I just sat there and looked at him.

Shock in its undiluted form raced through my veins and my ears rang.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked in a hoarse voice and he gave me the usual it's not you it's me bullcrap and I nodded and excused myself from his office. I sat in my chair and buried my face in my hands while taking deep breaths to calm myself because one wrong move could set off the tears. I thought I couldn't really cry about things anymore until I became emotionally entangled with someone who didn't feel the same way.

After ten minutes of seating there, I packed up to leave and knocked on his door again to let him know that I'll be leaving ahead of him.

"Iyana... I'm sorry." he said and I shrugged and flashed an obviously fake smile.

"It's fine. I'm used to dealing with sudden change of plans and disappointments. Well, see you tomorrow and have a goodnight rest Sir." and with that, I closed the door even though he didn't respond. I wanted to break something, with the hope that it'd help me feel better. I knew it was bound to happen, the only difference was that it happened suddenly.