SEVEN

September 1, 20XX-Monday

"Don't come home unless you bring back a 24-pack!" My dad shouted.

I rolled my eyes as I walked back from the grocery store. 

The worst part of it all is that I have to spend my own money to fund my dad's alcohol problem.

My stomach grumbled and I sighed.

When was the last time I had a proper meal?

Does anyone have it as bad as I do?

I got startled by what sounded like a huge crash so loud that I could hear it (even though it came from a room in the apartment building I stood next to).

With a frown, I looked up and stared at the suspected window.

I hear another crash followed by a huge heavy thud.

"Look at the mess you did!" A gruff voice bellows.

I stayed rooted to the ground, listening to the chaos erupting.

"Why are you crying? You always play the victim! That's why nobody likes you, piece of shit!"

There's more shuffling happening in the room and somehow the curtain moved aside, allowing me to get a glimpse of the person slumped against the wall.

My insides twisted around.

Was that really him?

He lives here?

"Make yourself useful for once, goddamnit! I expect this all cleaned up before I come back, Taehyung!"

Taehyung? His name is Taehyung?

I heard all this from the sidewalk meaning that his neighbors have heard it through the walls and have done nothing. 

I saw a man walk out of the apartment building to smoke so I hid behind a tree.

His father.

I checked my phone. It had been a while, meaning my dad would wonder what was taking me so long, but I just couldn't get myself to move away from this scene. 

I turned back to look up at the window and saw that a different one slid open, one on the side where the balcony was. 

Taehyung stuck his head out and looked around warily.

I held my breath, afraid that I would get spotted. 

I noticed that his clothes were stained with blood and he also carried a huge backpack.

He's leaving.

He's running away.

My eyes flickered back to his face only to realize he caught me.

Run.

I believe in you.

I believe in one of us.

I tried talking to him with my eyes. I looked around the building and realized that his dad had finished smoking and was now backing his way back in the building. My eyes widened and I try to tell him to leave already. 

Instead, he kept staring at me, unable to budge.

His eyes softened.

I bit my lip as I heard the door open harshly.

He retreated back into the room and slowly closed the window. 

Why?

Why didn't he run?

I wipe my tears and shake my head, making my way back to my apartment when I refused to hear the beating he got.

If only he chose to run away.

Things would have been different.

He would still be here.