FORTY-EIGHT

November 17, 20XX - Monday

Taehyung and I snuck out again. 

Hoseok never caught on (at least, he never led on that he did). 

I would've stopped it, but the night outs did something for Taehyung.

It made him look forward to something.

It made him look forward to the nightfall.

It was as if he finally found acceptance in the moon and stars, them shining a light on him when everything else was trying to pull him into darkness.

I was staring at Taehyung, thinking about how he had to be the moon's favorite child with the way the light blanketed him, shielding him away from the night's chaos.

Taehyung turned his head, surprised to catch me staring at him.

With a tiny crack of a smile, he turned his attention back to spray painting the wall. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

I couldn't help but smile, giving him a tiny "no reason" before grabbing my own aerosol can. 

Taehyung had found them in Yoongi's bathroom and when I asked him what he planned to do with them, he simply answered, "Leave our mark."

So that's what we were doing, leaving our mark, the wall serving as our canvas.

Finishing my design, I tilted my head to study it. 

It's missing something.

Taehyung looked at me before spraying a plus sign between our initials.

MHR+KTH

"Now, it's perfect."

He stood up, extending a hand to help me as well.

I held on tightly as I pulled myself up, his fingers eventually interlocking with mine.

My heart still fluttered, even though we've done way more than just hold hands by now.

Side by side, we made our way back, just enjoying the peace and quiet that only the night could offer us.

"Hari?" Taehyung soft voice called out to me.

"Taehyung?" I grinned his way to which he gave a shake of his head.

"What were you studying in school?"

I smiled as I replied, "Psychology."

His eyebrows raised.

"What did you want to do with it?"

"I wanted to counsel people."

More importantly, I wanted to fix my parents, fix the way they treated me, then fix myself and the damage they had done.

"...but I wasn't doing so well in school so who knows if I even would've finished."

"You would've." Taehyung answered, confidently, "And you will. I'll make sure of it."

I gave his hand a squeeze.

"What were you studying?"

Taehyung was quiet before finally sharing, "Childhood education." 

I tilted my head to look up at him, more curious about him than ever before.

"Do you think I could've been a teacher?" He asked shyly.

"Could've and can."

Taehyung chuckled at the ground, hiding behind his hair. 

"I hope so..."

We continued walking, until we made it back to the window.

Neither one of us wanted to go in, though.

So instead, Taehyung trapped me against the house, leaning on the hands placed on each side of me.

My heart drummed against my chest as I stared back at him.

He carefully swept the hair away from my face, tucking strands behind my ear.

"Hari... I really hope there's a future for us. One where we're finally safe. One where we achieve our deams and finish school...where we come home from jobs we love... to a family of our own."

Taehyung paused, swallowing before looking away, his voice cracking slightly, "C-can I ask for that? Am I able to?"

He immediately closed his mouth, bringing his eyes to look at me, only for me to notice the tears.

"Aren't I just a sinner?"

I leaned up to place a kiss on his lips before wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling him in for a hug.

Taehyung sniffled before allowing himself to break down in my arms.

My heart sunk for Taehyung as he pulled me close, needing me more than ever.

I hated seeing seeing him return to a broken state.

If only I could've done more...

I'm sorry, Taehyung...

I'm sorry I couldn't fulfill all your wishes.

_________________

A/N: Thank you for staying with Runaways <3 My heart aches for these two and I'm sure yours does as well. Let me know what you think / your hopes / expectations ♡