EIGHTEEN

September 30, 20XX-Tuesday

Do you believe things happen for a reason?

Because I started to.

Taehyung and I read the banner hanging between two poles:

D A E J E O N  4 7 T H  A N N U A L
  F E S T I V A L

Taehyung turned towards me. He wore a mask yet I could tell (from the way his eyes turned into precious little half-moons) that he was smiling.

"Do you know what that means?" He asked me with multiple raises of his eyebrows.

I raised my own and shook my head with a smile.

He leaned in close to me, "Money."

"Money?" I repeated in confusion.

That's what we need if we're going to keep hiding.

"Money." He repeated as he took my hand, "If we made it in time, there should be contests we can enter."

Before I had time to say anything else, he pulled me deep into the festival.

I took a look at the crowd, starting to get nervous.

Did Taehyung forget that we were on the run? 

What if someone catches us?

What if the news has spread this far?

I looked up at Taehyung's face and immediately forgot my worries.

With smiling eyes, Taehyung was taking in all the booths, the people, the food, and games. By the way his eyes leapt from one thing to another, I could tell he was excited.

I've never seen him this happy before.

What are the odds someone will recognize us anyways?

As we continued walking, the music started to get louder and louder until we stood amongst the crowd facing the stage.  

On stage, were a group of girls showing off what they must have practiced for months: a cover song with matching choreography.

Taehyung pulled down his mask as he let out an enthusiastic, "Wow!"

I turned to him.