FIFTEEN

September 26, 20XX- Friday

I was on the bus when the whispers started.

"Did you hear? Something just happened at the Fifth street apartments."

The mention of my apartment building caused me to listen closer.

"A boy killed his father," a girl seated in front of me told her friend.

My eyes widened.

A boy killed his father...at Fifth street apartments?

All of the moments I've caught of Taehyung and his father run through my mind: the screaming, the beating, the scars, the look on Taehyung's face.

I was brought back from my thoughts by the continuation of their conversation.  

"They're still looking for him. He's on the run now."

The girl showed her friend her phone screen of the live news channel.

In shock, her friend brought her hand to her mouth, "No way."

"What a monster." I overheard someone else on the bus say.

Turning my head, I spotted another pair also watching the news broadcast on their phone.

"That poor man! He's seriously a monster! A sick boy! He has no conscience at all."

Lies.

You don't know him. 

You don't know him like I do.

The whispers were reaching more ears and people quickly started pulling out their phones.

Soon enough everyone was spewing nonsense and curses.

Hearing enough, I ran off the bus at the next stop.

It really is you, isn't it?

You killed your father, didn't you?

I made a turn and just hoped that I would catch Taehyung before the cops did.

Pushing past people, I sprinted inside an alley (one of many we've visited before).

I climbed up the side stairs of the short building to reach the roof and looked over the streets.

"Stop him!"

I let out a shaky breath as I found it difficult to breathe. I was almost too nervous to look to see if they were really chasing Taehyung, but I had to make sure.

Looking down, I caught Taehyung running with all his might across the street. He was running so fast, but I saw him in slow motion. His hair was thrown back and the bloody sweater hung off of him. His teeth were gritted right and he swung his arms with clenched fists as the veins in his neck were prominent. 

I looked to see that the cops were turning around the corner and I had to make a decision fast. 

If I time it perfectly, I can reach him!

I turned on my heels and run down the stairs, skipping the last four and sprinting towards the front of the alley.

Please! Please let me reach him!

My heart practically leaped out of my chest as I spotted a bit of Taehyung. 

Reaching my hand out as far as I could, I tried to grasp some part of him.

I closed my eyes and pulled back as hard as I could once I felt something.

I fell back against the wall with Taehyung roughly colliding into me.

In bewilderment, he bounced back and looked at me.

"It's just me. Take my hand, Taehyung. Let's go before they catch up!"

He inhaled sharply, desperate for air as he said, "I don't want to drag you into this." 

I looked down at his shaking hand, blood all over them.

I don't care.

If there's no you, there's no me.

"Let's run away now," I told him as I fixed his sweater and zipped it up.

He stared at me, his mouth open as he took in his breaths and his hair messily covering his eyes (which I was sure were stained with tears).

He finally nodded and took my hand tightly in his.

He brushed past me and walked down the alley, pulling me tightly behind him.

Just like that, we ran away.

From our nightmares and poison,

We ran away.

THE STRANGER I SAW BY CHANCE EVERY DAY,

TOOK MY HAND AND LED ME AWAY,

TO HIDE THE PAIN OF OUR YESTERDAYS,

AND SO WE BECAME RUNAWAYS.

END OF PART ONE