FORTY-NINE

November 18, 20XX - Tuesday

Did you ever want to run to something yet run away from it at the same time?

I clutched my chest as I focused on my breathing.

That's how I felt on this day.

The Escalade jerked, having bumped against whatever obstructed the path we traveled on.

I fell further into Taehyung as he had his arms wrapped around me tightly.

"Shit." Yoongi muttered as he continued to drive. "Sorry, this isn't the easiest path to maneuver through."

I swallowed nervously, turning my attention to the tree branches whacking against the car in their attempt to slow us down.

"I've got you." Taehyung whispered into my ear as he pulled me even closer to him, completely enveloping me in his embrace.

It wasn't long until we got to the boat launch, the transition from a smooth pavement to the rough gravel becoming more noticeable.

As the car came to a halt, I craned my neck up to glance out the window, immediately setting my eyes on the white motor yacht sitting in the water.

My heart skipped a beat because things were becoming more real, more risky.

We were about to enter dangerous waters.

"Stay in here." Yoongi told us over his shoulder before he slipped out of the car, leaving us with Hoseok who sat in the passenger seat.

I set my eyes on him for the first time in a while, catching him staring to his side before his eyes flickered from the window to my eyes.

Feeling it a bit much, I dropped my gaze.

"It's clear." Yoongi popped in, cutting away the tension.

I let out a breath of relief.

It wasn't until later that I found out Hoseok had something on his mind.

"Wait right here. Stay where I could see you." Taehyung's low voice commanded before he began unloading the car with our stuff to take over, my sweater draped over his arm while our backpacks were slung over his shoulder.

I crossed my arms behind my back and leaned against the car, eyes never leaving him.

Hoseok took the opportunity to finally come and talk to me, taking a deep breath before walking over.

I shifted my gaze over to him as he exhaled, "Did you really not consider it?"

Confused, I just stared up at Hoseok with a furrowed brow.

"Hari, things are going to get dangerous. I could help you get out now." He muttered lowly, leaning in so close that our foreheads could've surely touched. "Hari... you have a few days. A few days to get out before-"

My eyes widened as I jerked my head up at him, a million thoughts flooding my mind.

Hoseok cut off what he was going to say, his mouth opening and closing slightly as he realized I wasn't understanding him fully.

"D-did you not read the note?" Hoseok looked even more puzzled.

I shook my head because I had completely forgotten the note.

It was probably still carefully tucked in my sweater

"No...It's in my..." My eyes widened because that very sweater was in Taehyung's hands.

Before Hoseok's expression could mirror my own, a click was heard right by our ears.

As I looked up, I caught Hoseok lifting his own head up to hit back against a gun.

The gun in Taehyung's hands.

I gasped loudly.

Hoseok closed his eyes, chuckling dryly.

Taehyung's eyes squinted, his hand drawing my attention to the note crumpled in it.

Hoseok's note.

"You gave this to her."

Hoseok swallowed before speaking, "I did."

"Where does that number dial out to?" Taehyung asked, dangerously low.

Hoseok looked at me as I stood too shocked to move.

"Why don't you just dial it yourself?" Hoseok raised an eyebrow, turning to look back only just slightly.

"Because I'm not stupid." Taehyung scoffed. "And neither are you. So, answer me."

I tried to get my voice to come out and stop all this, but it just wouldn't come out.

"The sheriff's office." Hoseok finally answered.

I frowned. The sheriff's office? But why?

Hoseok looked at me with pity, "To bring her one step closer to getting help."

Taehyung's shift in weight was enough to get me to finally budge and throw my arms around him as I pushed him back. 

"D-don't." My voice wavered. "Put it down, you aren't thinking."

My heart was beating so fast I was sure that I could just faint, but I knew in that moment I had to hold onto Taehyung, hold on so he couldn't let go.

Taehyung lowered the gun, his arm swaying by his side slightly before he tucked the gun away.

I could've just fell into his arms from relief.

"Hey, hey, hey....what's going on over here?" Namjoon walked up between Hoseok and Taehyung, looking between them each.

Taehyung kept his stare on Hoseok, walking by slowly before ducking his head down, shaking it.

Namjoon looked at me and raised his eyebrow, but I quickly looked away.

Sighing, Namjoon decided to let it go, pointing at the motoryacht. "Everything's settled inside so resolve whatever this is and get on."

Muttering something under his breath, he walked away.

I grasped Taehyung's hand, but it quickly slipped past mine as he marched back over to Hoseok.

"You will never get inbetween us. Not after everything we've been through. Not after what you have put us through. She isn't in danger because of me. She's in danger because of you. The more you try to help, the worse it's becoming and I... I'm starting to think it's not an accident."

Hoseok narrowed his eyes.

Taehyung licked his lips, rolling his eyes slightly, "Just know...she rescued me..."

Taehyung stepped back, taking my hand and as he pulled me away, he assured him,

"...so I'll rescue her."