SEVENTEEN

September 29, 20XX-Monday

The pain Taehyung must have been going through was something I could never imagine.

Imagine being put through so much pain by the one that was supposed to give you the most love. So much pain that you felt there was only one way out and consequently having to deal with that for the rest of your life.

Yeah, he was a terrible father, but he was the only one Taehyung knew.

I awoke in the middle of the night, cold. The cargo container's door was open and Taehyung was no longer next to me.

Wrapping the blanket around me tighter, I took a peak outside.

Gosh, it's so cold. Can we really live like this?

I spotted Taehyung standing a bit away as he stared up at the sky, hands in his pocket, and deep in thought.

He must've not been able to fall asleep.

All of a sudden, there was a big creak, causing Taehyung to look over my way.

I turned my head to see where it was coming from, but the freight train lurched and I tipped over.

It's moving!

Taehyungs eyes widened and his hands flew out of his pocket as he started running back towards the train.

I sat up and felt the panic rise as the train started picking up speed.

Why are we moving?!

"HARI!" Taehyung shouted as he got closer and closer.

I snapped out of my panic and quickly held onto the side as I tried to stretch out my hand for him.

"Taehyung! Hurry!" I shouted as we tried to lock hands, but the train lurched faster once more, making our fingertips slip past each other.

No!

I can't make it without you!

Taehyung fell back and tried to catch up, but it was starting to grow apparent that he wouldn't make it.

With shaking knees, I stood up and stared at the moving ground as I contemplated jumping off.

"NO! Hari, don't jump!"

Taehyung begged, but as I looked up, I could tell that he was getting tired.

I'm losing time. 

If I don't jump now, the train will be too fast.

Taehyung grunted as he tried to grab onto the train's handles, but he failed each time.

With each failure, it set him behind a pair of cargo containers until he was six behind.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, ready to jump.

I was just about to let go when the sound of the container door slamming open caused me to stop. 

My head snapped over and I found out Taehyung had managed to get ahold of the door handle and was not struggling to get his other leg inside the container.

He gets it inside and I let out a sigh of relief.

He did it.

Just when I was about to close my container's door, I spotted Taehyung getting out once more. 

With wide eyes, I shouted, "What are you doing?!"

He pulled himself up to the top where he stayed on all fours for a while before making eye contact with me.

"I'm coming to you!"

Why risk it?!

"Taehyung, don't-"

He cut me off, "I have to! You get nightmares at night!"

He noticed?

I sat there in shock until I started hearing Taehyung making his way closer.

Taehyung ran without fear, jumping onto the next pair of containers without hesitation.

He finally made it to the one I was in and I helped him in.

Grabbing tightly onto his hand and throwing him inside, we landed harshly.

"We're in this together. You promised." Taehyung managed to get the words out between his harsh breaths.

I teared up and hugged him tightly.

I did.

And I wish I could've kept that promise.