Chapter 4: Assembly

That same day, Jake had enough of seeing Julie sad, even after just a few hours of it. As much as he didn't want to get involved, he knew the tables had now turned and it was time for him to be the friend. So before his final class, which was a study hall, ended, he headed to the locker rooms. 

He had spent more time in the girls' room than the guys', but he was now headed into the latter. There, he waited a few minutes before the athletes came in after practice. The newly formed football team came in like a herd, so he almost didn't have a chance to stop Ryder.

"Hey man, we need to talk," he told him.

Ryder shrugged him off. "I don't have to hear anything from you," he responded.

Jake grabbed his shoulder and pulled him aside. "You're going to have to," he told him. "Remember when I hurt Marley? You jumped on board and got involved faster than anybody else. Why? Because you cared about her. So don't ask me not to care about Julie because you know I do."

"But that doesn't make it your business," Ryder said.

Jake laughed. "Oh, the irony of this moment!" he exclaimed. Ryder rolled his eyes and tried to walk away but Jake stopped him. This only angered Ryder, who turned around and shoved his former best friend.

"Lay off it, will you?" he shouted, calling the attention of many of the guys who were there. "Oh and, in case you were wondering, this doesn't mean you're free to go for it. I may not be right for her but you definitely aren't good enough." He walked away and Jake took a seat on an empty bench, defeated.

***

"Let's get onto business, shall we?" Will said as he began the club meeting after school, with everyone present this time. "Auditions will be this Friday. We have been looking at the sign-up sheets and this year they're pretty empty... But we have a solution for that. We saw a massive increase in sign-ups after the courtyard performance from yesterday. So we're thinking one more of those tomorrow will get us more contenders. Principal Hallman has given us a slot in tomorrow's assembly. Sue?"

The kids were already excited for one reason—assembly performances were typically better received than those in the lunchroom. Maybe it's because the other students were more easily irritable when they were trying to have their meals and there were glee club members dancing over their food. 

Sue walked into view, having been hiding behind the trophy case. With a grim look on her face she faced the New Directions and said, "I've choreographed a nice routine to the latest hit 'Bang Bang' for a performance which will take place tomorrow. For this we will need to showcase three things— great vocals, great dancemoves, and different ethnicities."

"Did I hear that correctly?" said Rory, cringing his nose.

"We will be utilizing your sexualities to—" Sue went on.

"Sue, that's not what we—" Will began to protest.

"Will," Sue said firmly and calmly. "You assigned me this number so let me choose my performers." Will sighed with a nod as Sue turned to the others. "Kitty," she said, making many of the non-ex-Cheerios roll their eyes with lack of surprise. "Julie." Again, more eyerolls, though this time there was more surprise considering Julie had quit the squad just before Nationals the previous year. "And Shana," Sue finished.

"Wait, what?" Bree burst. "Coach—"

"Not a coach anymore," Sue interrupted her.

"—Ms. Sylvester!" Bree exclaimed. "You can't split up the trio like this."

"Yes, she can," Shana grinned excitedly.

"I'm just as great of a dancer as Shana," Bree went on. "I'm also black. And I can sing and rap."