Chapter 54: Surprised

"Thanks so much for coming, girls," the youth center leader said as she led Bree and Unique to the room where the kids were gathered. "Today is a special day. We are introducing mythology to the kids, beginning with this."

She held up a book that didn't have a single picture, not even on the cover. As Unique took it in her hands, she looked over at Bree with pursed lips. How were they supposed to aid education in the community with a book that would surely put a group of fourth graders to sleep?

"Just walk right in there," the woman continued, "introduce yourselves, and begin reading as you see fit. I'll be down that hall, third room on the left, if you need anything." As the woman walked away, Bree grunted and forced herself to follow behind Unique. If only she had been paired up with Kitty or Julie or even Harmony. They were a lot more fun to be around than Unique.

"Hi everyone," Unique said, noting how freaked out a good portion of the group looked. "My name is Unique and this is Bree. We're going to—"

"That's not a real name," a little boy interrupted, looking at Unique.

Bree raised a brow and, her hands on her hips, asked, "Oh yeah? And what's your name?"

"Laken..." he answered with just as much sass.

"That's not a real name," Bree scoffed. The boy scowled but Bree ignored him, turning to Unique and urging her to begin reading.

***

Ten minutes later, the kids looked bored out of their minds. A few of them looked like they were about to fall asleep, so Bree finally had enough. "Ok, stop!" she exclaimed, startling everyone and forcing Unique to stop reading. 

"What?" Unique asked Bree, annoyed by her inability to simply cooperate. Bree walked towards her and whispered something into her ear. "Seriously?" Unique asked when she pulled back.

"Why not?" Bree asked. She pulled out her phone, raised up the volume, and pressed play. Unique took a deep breath before belting out a long run that impressed many of the little kids sitting on a carpet in front of them.

["The Gospel Truth I" from Hercules.]

Bree: Back when the world was new. The planet Earth was down on its luck. And everywhere gigantic brutes called Titans ran amok.

Unique rested her arm on Bree's shoulder and nodded as she sang to the kids, trying to be as entertaining as possible.

Unique: It was a nasty place! There was a mess wherever you stepped.
Bree: Where chaos reigned and earthquakes and volcanoes never slept!

Unique fanned herself and exclaimed, "Oooh, say it girlfriend!"

Both: And then along came Zeus
Bree: He hurled his thunderbolt.
Both: He zapped!
Unique: Locked those suckers in a vault
Both: They're trapped! And on his own stopped chaos in its tracks. And that's the gospel truth! The guy was too type "A" to just relax!

The girls danced around the room and were pleased that the children's eyes were following them wherever they went. Finally! Some of them were actually smiling, mouthing the lyrics, or even singing along!

Bree: And that's the world's first dish.
Unique:  Yeah baby!
Bree: Zeus tamed the globe while still in his youth.
Both: Though, honey, it may seem impossible. That's the gospel truth. On Mt. Olympus life was neat and smooth as sweet vermouth. Though, honey, it may seem impossible. That's the gospel truth!

The girls threw out big jazz hands and ended the song. The kids, even Laken, were impressed enough that they clapped and jumped up. They exchanged high fives and decided to continue telling their stories through song, even if Disney's version wasn't exactly accurate.