Chapter 13: The Fall

"So," Julie began when she arrived at Bree's locker the next day. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," Bree shook her head.

"You have bags under your eyes the size of Harmony's ego," Julie pointed out. "And don't think I haven't noticed that you're wearing your old jeans. Your butt is shrinking, Bree! Your butt!"

"What's the matter with you?" Bree asked, sticking up her nose as she looked down at her friend. "You seem... neurotic."

"Me?" Julie exclaimed. "I heard you shoved a freshman yesterday!"

"She got in my way," Bree shrugged.

"Oh no..." Julie sighed. "Please tell me you aren't reverting back to Queen Bee. Not you, too. I mean, there's already Kitty and Carrie going around trying to get the spot and if you—"

"Oh my gosh..." Bree groaned. "Please stop talking..."

Julie paused, now getting more concerned. "Bree, what were you doing yesterday that you couldn't even go to glee club?" she asked.

Bree looked around to make sure nobody was listening. "Can you keep a secret?" she whispered enticingly.

Julie leaned forward and nodded. "Better than you," she said.

"Seriously?" Bree said, leaning back and raising an eyebrow. Julie shrugged, so she shook her head and leaned forward again before whispering, "None of your business."

She slammed her locker, pivoted, and walked away without another word. Julie watched until she saw her pass by Stefan, completely ignoring him. He, however, looked down at her body with lust before walking towards Julie, who scoffed when he stopped in front of her.

"Hey," he said with an award-winning smile. "How's your day so far?"

"Not so great," she told him. "Excuse me." She made her way around him, not wanting to stick around for whatever it was he was about to say to her, and headed to the choir room for some quiet, alone time before her class.

Stefan watched her go with a smug look on his face, which remained there even once she was out of sight and didn't leave until his thoughts were interrupted by Ryder. "What's with the funny look?" his friend asked.

"Hmm?" Stefan responded, turning to him. "Oh uh, nothing. Some girl was just hitting on me big time."

"Ooh, nice," Ryder responded. "Listen, I was hoping you could help me take a few things from my car to the gym. You down for that?"

"Yeah, sure," Stefan responded, nodding. "Let's go bro."

***

Julie sat in front of the piano with her notebook out in front of her, trying hard not to get angry. She needed to calm down, but Bree had been a jerk and she was not in a good mood to begin with. Now, pressing down the keys in front of her, she found herself able to relax, even for just a moment.

She cleared her throat as she played nervously the notes that she'd drawn in her journal. She was just about to start singing when Jake appeared in front of her.

"That sounded good," he told her. "Really good. What song is it?"

"Umm," Julie said hastily as she closed her journal and began to pack her things. "Just a random song. It's not that—"

"Hey, whoa, slow down," Jake stopped her, not wanting her to leave so quickly. "I'm not kicking you out. What's going on? Do you not want me around?"

Julie shook her head. "I do," she told him. "Of course I do. I just, uh, I have to go study and uh­—"

"Right," he nodded. "So that you can go be a doctor."