Chapter 36: Party Crashers

"Did you hear Principal Hallman is probably getting fired?" Ryder asked Julie while they hung out during the band's rehearsal. She nodded curtly, still upset that she'd seen him flirting with Carrie all night.

"Serves her well!" Kitty interjected. "She ruined the Cheerios! She deserves it."

"I just hope Sue isn't put as principal again," Sam shrugged. "Only reason I'm allowed to teach glee club alongside Mr. Schue is that Principal Hallman allowed it."

"Sue won't target you," Julie assured him. "I'll make sure of it. Besides, she told me she didn't want the job. She just wants to be a cheerleading coach again."

"I think this is the best song you've written as far as a good fit for us," said John as he read through the lyrics Julie handed him. He clearly didn't care about anything that went on at McKinley anymore, not even paying attention to their conversation. "Let's try it out."

"Marley's not here yet," Sam pointed out.

"Kitty can step in for her," Ryder shrugged.

"Kitty cannot," the blonde responded, annoyed. "Kitty doesn't even want to be here."

"Then why are you?" John asked.

"I told you," she answered, "I'm crashing at Julie's and I didn't want to just stay there alone while she was over here. I had no choice."

"What about Dan?" Ryder asked. 

"He left the house early," Julie responded. "He wants nothing to do with my slumber party so my dad and he took a fishing trip."

"I want to go fishing," Sam sighed.

"Beats hanging out here while you guys debate whether or not to actually practice," Kitty said.

"Ok, enough," John sighed. "Julie, you're singing."

"What, why?" she complained as he pushed her to the keyboard.

"You're the only one here who can actually play," he told her. "And it's your song so go ahead."

"It really is a good song," Kitty shrugged. "Go for it, Julebug."

"It's not that great," Julie sighed. "I was pretty upset when I wrote it."

"I know," Kitty said. "I was there, six hours ago when you wouldn't go to sleep. Now play it or I'll be very upset that I stayed up with you while you wrote it and I don't even get to hear it."

Kitty slumped down on the ground and waited as Julie sighed and placed her copy of the music sheets in front of her. The guys did the same and began.

[Cue "Rumor Mill" by We Are the In Crowd, which is one of my favorite songs!]

Julie: Here we go again, it's like you're calling all the shots before I shoot them. And I hate that.

Sam turned to John and the two exchanged meaningful glances as they strummed. Ryder drummed along but his facial expression remained serious and focused.

Julie: Every time I turn my back I wonder what you'll say to make me sound like someone different.

John: It's not worth it anymore!

Julie glanced over at John and smiled, meeting Sam's gaze briefly before turning back to the music.

Julie: We've been picking up the pieces. Leaving all the dust behind. Sick of all the pressure . You're just wasting time!

Kitty bobbed her head, smiling proudly at her friend. The previous night, when Julie had stayed up writing the song, she'd glanced at the lyrics and thought they might be about her. But then she realized they were more likely about everyone else.