Chapter 16: Election Day

So yesterday, bombed my first college exam. I think it's karma for making Julie bomb her first Calculus exam. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is it," Bree told Julie as the two of them walked onto the stage for their final speeches before the voting took place. She didn't respond, instead just continued to lead the way to two of the six chairs that were aligned upstage. Carrie and Jordan were already there, sitting down with their matching baby blue skirts and blazers smoothed to perfection. Bree sat next to Jordan, who grinned at her as Julie also took a seat. Seconds later, Ryder took a seat next to her and Stefan followed, increasing the already-present awkwardness on the stage.

"Ok," said Emma as she nervously stood in front of the three podiums that had been set out on stage. "I'm not exactly, uh, sure why I'm here but... I guess I was seen as having the least-important thing I could be doing right now."

Bree cleared her throat. Emma looked back at the girls widened eyes and took this as a sign that she should get off the stage as quickly as possible.

"Great," said Emma, turning back around. "So this year we had several contestants for the presidential election so umm... Let's hear what they have to say. First up, your candidates for the vice president position, Jordan Stern, Bree Welsh, and Stefan Montgomery." She clapped her hands as she rushed off of the stage and three went up to their separate podiums.

"Have you noticed that all of the contestants are either jocks or former cheerleaders?" John asked Sam as the two walked in quietly and took their seats in the back row of the auditorium. There were plenty of people there, all waiting to see what they expected to be a bloodbath, considering all the feuds between contestants.

From her new place in the judging table at the front row, Emma cleared her throat and said, "Let's begin with Stefan. According to you and your views, why should your peers care about school politics and student council?"

She looked up at Stefan expectantly, while the latter looked at the crowd and hesitated, racking his brain for the correct answer to this question. Ryder tapped his foot nervously and muttered, "Come on, you know this... Come on..." 

Stefan cleared his throat and began, "Everyone should care about what student council does and doesn't do because student council represents every individual at the school. If not for student council, many of the privileges we take for granted, such as seniors having free periods at the end of the day, or the ability to go off-campus during lunch... Those things wouldn't be available to us if not for the hard work of student council. And who doesn't enjoy school dances, am I right?" 

He flashed a smile at the audience and the crowd erupted with cheer, particularly from the female population. Ryder clapped proudly from the back and the girls on stage acknowledged him respectfully. 

"I wrote that for him," Kitty grinned as she whispered to Harmony. "I'm practically the brains behind that handsome face."

Emma smiled and said, "Very well, moving on to Jordan."

"I wholeheartedly agree with—" she began, stopping when Carrie began to clear her throat. "I mean, I think he made good points, but there is flaw in Stefan's argument."

"Flaws?" Kitty said, feeling insulted.

"Yes, we should all participate in Stu Co.," Jordan said, struggling with a way to make Stefan's words seem false or controversial. "But, uh... Should we really consider senior privileges as that? Isn't it in our rights as students to get the best treatment from the school or faculty available? Or should we just settle for whatever scraps can be afforded to us by student council?" She said this intensely, stopping only momentarily to flash a smile at the audience, one which did not result with the same uproar as Stefan's but did get her an applause.