Chapter 72: Pressure

["Home is Where the Heart is" by McFly.]

Sam: I'm a lover, I'm not a fighter. Hold me close and I'll take you higher than you've ever been. Raise your hands and lay down your weapons. We could turn this around in seconds flat. If you believe.

Sitting on the hood of his car and enjoying the warm sun, Sam strummed his guitar peacefully.

Sam: Home is where the heart is. It's where we started. Where we belong, singing. Home is where the heart is. It's where we started. Where we belong.

He looked up at the sun, which was blazing particularly hot that day. He put up with the pain for a few seconds and then looked back down. He couldn't see anymore, but his fingers still seemed to find the right notes.

Sam: In these troubled days of anger. We're afraid of every stranger. But today we're changing history. It's OK to sing it with me.

 These days, music was the only thing that came naturally, that felt right.

Sam: Now's your chance think of your lovers. We are all sisters and brothers. Now's your chance think of your lovers. We are all sisters and brothers. Home, home.

When John parked his car behind his, he was careful and quiet getting off, afraid of interrupting.

Sam: Home is where the heart is. It's where we started. Where we belong, singing. Home is where the heart is. It's where we started. Where we belong.

"Nice song," John said as he hopped on the hood and joined his bandmate.

"Wish I could write like that," Sam muttered, setting the guitar down.

John shrugged and said, "I think you can. You just need the right kind of inspiration."

"I guess we'll worry about that for the second album," Sam sighed. "That is if we get to make one. There's always the chance that once this album drops everyone will hate it."

"Well, our first single is released this week," John reminded him. "So let's just wait and see how that one does before we jump to any conclusions."

"Why'd you do it?" Sam asked suddenly. "The Santana thing last week. With Puck. Why would you stoop that low?"

"Because you're a friend," John said. "And I keep thinking that as long as you're with her, you won't be happy. And Julie spends last time around me since so..."

"Sorry," Sam said, rubbing the bridge of his nose and squeezing his eyes tight. "I know my choices have screwed with more than just one person... But I need her to move on for the sake of my baby. I need her to believe that I hate her if it kills me."

John nodded and told him, "I guess that makes sense. I just want everyone to be happy... Do you think maybe, possibly, trying to make it work after high school is just kidding ourselves?"

"With you and Marley?" Sam asked, turning to his friend. "Are you having doubts?"

"Not about what I feel," John sighed. "But she told me about Shana and Unique breaking up and I just thought... What if they're the first to get it right? To just let go before it's too late? Marley's a great girl but I can tell she doesn't want any of the things I plan on getting for myself. She wants the small-town life, helping people, being selfless for the rest of her life. I want to be a rockstar... And I know that she'll try but that's not the life she wants to live. She doesn't like the pressure of being under the spotlight."

"Then what are you going to do?" Sam asked, glad that the topic of conversation wasn't his own love life for once. John didn't answer his question because he didn't have the answer yet.