Chapter 31: The Return

"And after he said it," Julie mumbled, "I just sort of stood there and he eventually left and I stood there and... I didn't know what to tell him so I haven't been to my locker because I'm scared of looking him in the eye."

"You shouldn't avoid him," Amity said, shaking her head. She wasn't exactly sure what had made her confide in her but she guessed it had something to do with the fact that Kitty was pretty much in love with her boyfriend and Bree had too much going on to deal with anybody else's problems.

"I don't want to," Julie said. "I just... Ok, when someone tells you they love you, you're supposed to say it back, right?"

"If you mean it," Amity responded with a quick nod.

"Ok, well I want to mean it," she said. "I do. And I did almost say it back except my mind went to Sam." After Amity's eyes widened, Julie said, "Oh, no, not like that. It's something he said to me last year... He told me there's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. And... I don't want to tell him I love him until I'm in love with him."

"Look," Amity smiled, "since you taught me the difference between an Eskimo kiss and a regular kiss, I'll give you some advice. Nitpicking at connotations will only get you so far. When you say it and how you say it, that's going to show him the way you mean it. But you don't have to say it until you're ready. You know, I think this will be a great thing to talk about at today's celibacy club meeting. Celibacy for your heart, not just your body. Since Mrs. Schuester has a meeting today, we—"

"Actually, the meeting's with me," Julie interrupted her. "It was kind of last minute and she said it was important so the only time she can meet with me is during celibacy club so—"

"Don't sweat it," Amity shook her head as she stood outside the room in which they had their meetings. "But I think I'll bring up the subject with the other girls, regardless."

"Sounds good," Julie nodded at her, giving her a thumbs up. "Let me know what you ladies talk about."

"Will do," Amity agreed, waving goodbye and walking into the room. "Or not," she added in a soft murmur when she saw Jake sitting across the table from Unique and Marley. She took a seat next to him and said, "What are you doing here?"

"I, uh," Jake began, unable to finish.

"He's hiding," Unique said with a grin. "Word on the street is he told Julie the 'l' word."

Jake sighed and gave Marley a look. "I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret!" Marley exclaimed defensively.

"You wouldn't happen to know anything about what she's thinking, would you?" Jake asked Amity. When she feigned ignorance he added, "I saw you two walking together just a few minutes ago."

Amity forced a smile and said, "Please don't drag me into this..."

"Look, Jake, if it makes you feel any better," Marley began, "I heard her tell Sam she loves him a hundred times."

"That doesn't make me feel better," Jake told her, shaking his head.

"Well, it should!" Marley exclaimed. "Because she chose Ryder over him and then you over Ryder. So there's got to be love there. Just give her time and—"

"Don't pressure her," Unique said. "Us girls don't like that. You should know what with Marley and all..."

Jake rolled his eyes. "Ok, so what do we talk about at these meetings?" Jake asked. The girls looked at him expectantly and he added, "What, I'm already here! May as well discuss chastity or whatever."

"Well, last time we left off on talking about..." Amity explained, glancing nervously at Marley. "What to do when a guy tries to pressure you into sex..."