Chapter 55: Spring Musical

"Why do we call it the spring musical if technically we do the show just before spring actually starts?" Shana asked as she and Unique walked up to the sing-up sheets for the final musical of the year, for which Rent had been selected.

"I don't know," Unique shrugged. "All I know is that I'm auditioning for Angel and if anyone else gets the role of the drag queen over me, I'm going to be very upset." She put her name on the audition list and handed the pen over to Shana.

"Nah," her girlfriend shook her head. "I can't. Aside from talking to Amity and deciding that we should leave the spotlight to the seniors, I don't really know much about Rent so I can't see myself doing well without any roles I can connect with, you know?"

"Yeah, I understand," Unique nodded. 

Shana smiled and asked, "Enough about me, though. What song will you be doing?"

"I have the perfect song," she answered with a hopeful grin.

***

["Pretty Hurts" by Beyonce.]

Unique: Uh huh huh... Uh huh huh... Uh huh huh...

Shana sat behind Marley, Coach Beiste and Emma, watching as Unique began her audition. Already, she had a huge smile on her face.

Unique: Mama said, "You're a pretty girl. What's in your head, it doesn't matter. Brush your hair, fix your teeth. What you wear is all that matters."

Marley began jotting down notes, but she really didn't want to take her eyes off of her friend, who was killing it just seconds into her song.

Unique: Just another stage, pageant the pain away. This time I'm gonna take the crown. Without falling down, down, down. Pretty hurts, we shine the light on whatever's worst. Perfection is a disease of a nation, pretty hurts, pretty hurts. Pretty hurts, we shine the light on whatever's worst. We try to fix something but you can't fix what you can't see. It's the soul that needs the surgery.

The four women in the audience clapped their hands. Emma just wished she could bring Will down from tutorials to watch this performance, which was breathtaking. As expected, Beiste was close to tears and Marley looked very proud.

Unique: Ain't got no doctor or pill that can take the pain away. The pain's inside and nobody frees you from your body. It's the soul, it's the soul that needs surgery. It's my soul that needs surgery. Plastic smiles and denial can only take you so far. Then you break when the fake facade leaves you in the dark. You left with shattered mirrors and the shards of a beautiful past.

Shana pulled out her phone and began to record her so that she could brag about the song to the rest of New Directions, who were all too busy practicing their own auditions to watch the best girl go first.

Unique: Pretty hurts, we shine the light on whatever's worst. Perfection is a disease of a nation, pretty hurts, pretty hurts. Pretty hurts, we shine the light on whatever's worst. We try to fix something but you can't fix what you can't see. It's the soul that needs the surgery.

Unique knew she was doing a good job but her acting hadn't been great in the past. And this time, everyone wanted the musical to be perfect, which is why people like Marley and Rory, who loved to sing but weren't that into acting, weren't auditioning. Marley was back to co-directing and Rory was focusing on school and playing an extra. Unique, however, wanted to star in the show and hoped her voice was enough to get her the role of Angel.

Unique: When you're alone all by yourself. And you're lying in your bed. Are you happy with yourself? Are you happy with yourself? Yes. Uh huh huh...