Chapter 50: Country

["Somebody's Heartbreak" by Hunter Hayes.]

Bree: I'd love to know just what you're thinkin'. Every little river, runnin' through your mind. You give and you take. You come and you go. You leave me here wonderin' if I'll ever know. How much you care or how much you don't. Whatever you need, whatever you want.

Bree stood next to Joe awkwardly as the latter strummed his guitar. Everyone was watching them with stares that, to anyone not related to could be interpreted as those of someone who had spotted a celebrity or seen the first kiss of newlyweds. 

Bree and Joe: If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak. If you're gonna be somebody's mistake. If you're gonna be somebody's first time. Somebody's last time, baby be mine. If you're lookin' to be somebody's 'just friends'. A little laughin', little lovin', never callin' again, that's just fine. If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak. Be mine, yeah. Oh, be mine...

Kitty and Julie looked like they might pass out. Stefan's look was a mixture of teasing and accusatory.

Bree: If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak. Or somebody's mistake. Somebody's first time, or their last time, baby be mine. If you're lookin' to be somebody's 'just friends'. A little laughin', little lovin', never callin' again, that's just fine.

Everyone else gave Bree the impression that she was now holding puppies in a basket. She rolled her eyes at them and didn't give even a glimpse of a smile, which Joe interpreted as her being happy. At least she continued to sing, right?

Bree and Joe: If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak. Be mine (If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak) Be mine (If you're gonna be somebody's mistake) Oh, I'll take my chances. If you're gonna be someone's heartbreak. If you're gonna be someone's mistake. Somebody's first time, somebody's last time. Be mine. Oh, be mine. Be mine.

Even more annoying to Bree was the moment when Amity put her head on Alex's shoulder and the two began to sway from side to side. Joe was busy watching Bree, whose reactions to her friend's reactions were even more entertaining than theirs.

Joe: Baby, baby, baby, be mine, all mine.
Bree: If you're gonna break someone's heart, yeah. Might as well, might as well be mine...

The song ended and the room erupted into applause that came close to pushing Bree over the edge. This was just like a typical Jalie number; it didn't matter what the quality of the performance was because they were just so cute together that everyone would love them anyway. And that was not what Bree wanted at all.

"Nice!" Will exclaimed from his own seat. "What a fantastic number. Bonus points for getting an alumni to sing with you."

"There's bonus points for that?" Harmony asked, turning to Marley. "Can I borrow your boyfriend?"

Marley gave her a weird look as Ryder told her, "But you're singing with me."

"Changes can be made," she responded.

Joe then said, "We also wanted to make an announcement just to put an end to all the questions and the speculation..." He turned to Bree and she nodded, though she didn't seem too sure.

"Joe and I..." she began. "We're back together..."

To further her irritation, everyone went crazy with these news. "Awesome!" Kitty exclaimed, while Stefan said, "I knew it!"

"Yeah, yeah," Bree rolled her eyes. "We're really trying to ease into this and we're only telling you all because we've been badgered for the last month about it and we just want to put an end to it."