Chapter 7: Fantasy Mentors

When the glee kids walked into the choir room after school, Marley was sitting at the piano and Alex was at the front of the room. Amity took her seat quietly and wondered what that was about but she guessed it had to do with their conversation from earlier. Marley played and tried to force a smile, feeling that she should at least be happy that one of her friends was doing well in the love department.

["You & I" by One Direction.]

Alex: I figured it out... I figured it out from black and white... Seconds and hours... Maybe they had to take some time...

He walked towards Amity and took a knee in front of her, making her overflow with joy and slight embarrassment as he held her hands over her lap and continued.

Alex: I know how it goes... I know how it goes from wrong and right. Silence and sound... Did they ever hold each other tight like us? Did they ever fight like us?

Harmony crossed her arms angrily as she realized they were singing against her and Dan and every other ex-couple of the glee club. She looked around and saw the others smiling or not caring, both of which she didn't understand. Had they not had the same realization she had?

Alex: You and I... We don't wanna be like them... We can make it 'til the end. Nothing can come between you and I. Not even the gods above... can separate the two of us. No, nothing can come between you and I. Oh, you and I...

Alex stood up and held onto one of Amity's hands, attempting to pull her up. She did so without hesitation, her shyness in front of the group evaporated with Alex holding her afloat. He indicated for her to join him and she did, not even remembering Harmony's words anymore.

Amity: I figured it out. Saw the mistakes of up and down... Meet in the middle. There's always room for common ground...

Ryder looked over at Julie for a second and then turned back to the front, mad at himself for even letting her come back into his thoughts.

Alex: I see what it's like
Alex and Amity: I see what it's like for day and night. Never together. 'Cause they see things in a different light. Like us. But they never tried. Like us...

They continued to sing the One Direction song, and although Alex hated the band and hated himself for choosing to sing their song, he loved Amity more than any of that. When the song was over, he kissed her lightly, knowing anything more than that would make her feel uncomfortable because they were being watched, and the two returned to their seats as the others clapped. 

Amity shot a glance behind her at Harmony, who was seething with anger. She smiled, pleased with the opportunity to prove her wrong as she leaned closer to Alex and turned back to the front.

"Fantastic job, guys," Will said as Sue said, "That was awful."

They looked at each other and Will said, "No, really, it was great. It was a nice way of welcoming everyone back for the day and now we segue into our next order of business... Mentors."

The kids looked around at each other with excitement. Every year since having the first class of New Directions graduates, they came back and partnered up with current members, mentoring them and helping them out when a competition or musical came about. It was a little early in the year for either of those things, but Will thought it'd be a good way to get things started.

"I am ready for some more Mercedes Jones," Unique said, raising her hand as if to say 'praise' to Mercedes.

Will smiled and said, "But there's a twist now."

"Oh no..." muttered Bree, knowing this couldn't possibly be a good twist.

"We're doing this like a game," said Will, smiling as he reached for the sorting hat. They all looked at it with excitement. and trepidation. The hat was used for one thing and one thing only: random selection.