Chapter 64: Until We Can't Ignore Them Anymore

I hope I make a lot of dreams come true today, folks. And if I do the exact opposite, well call me a sadist but that might be just as pleasing.
--------------------------------------------------------

VIEWER DISCRETION IS SEEEEERIOUSLY ADVISED. LIKE SERIOUSLY. ALSO PROBABLY A LOT OF TYPOS BECAUSE I WROTE THIS AT 3/4 AM.

"Did you hear that?" Jake asked as he stood up immediately, nearly dropping Julie in the process. "That was Kitty. Just down the hall." He reached for the door that led into the hallway as Julie stood up and stopped him. 

"You can't," she begged him, her voice cracking. "Jake, it's too dangerous."

"Someone just fired at Kitty," he said. "I can't not go." He unlocked the door and rushed out, Julie reaching for it but being blocked by Sam.

As he closed the door and locked it, he turned to her and said, "Oh no you don't. Just because he's stupid enough to go doesn't mean I'll be the idiot to let you follow. I'm not letting you out of my sight. Come on, let's go back behind the desk."

***

"That was weird..." Marley said as she recovered from the shock of the second bullet being fired. Most of the people with her were crying, feeling guilty for wondering which of their friends may have just been killed as they sat there and did nothing. "I..." Marley mumbled. "I thought I heard someone yell... After the bullet was fired."

"Yeah," Bree told her. "Someone probably did. Of pain."

"Let's just keep our heads up, ok?" Amity mumbled. "Figuratively, that is. We have to believe that everyone is still safe." She clutched the golden cross around her neck with one hand and placed the other over Dan's warm, clammy forehead. He was getting worse and Alex hadn't returned yet. What if that was Alex who had just come across the shooter? How would she go on if he was gone?"

***

"Listen to me..." Kitty pleaded, still shaking from the gun the had just been fired at the desk behind her and was now pointed between her eyes. "You don't have to do this, ok? You're just a kid... You're not a killer."

"Shut up," the guy said, trembling as he aimed the pistol at her. "Sit down. Right there." He continued to threatened her with a bullet as she took a seat and he reached for the door but just as he was closing it, a foot stepped in between it's gap and stopped it. He turned, confused, as Jake overpowered him and forced the door open.

"Get away from her," he told him. 

The guy shook his head and turned the gun on Jake instead. "No," he said, his lips quivering. "You don't get to call the shots anymore. None of you do. Go on, get out. Lead the way. I know there are more of you lurking around so... We're going to go say hello to a few of your friends."

***

"Well, we haven't heard another shot fired..." Julie mumbled, staring at the ground as she sat beside Sam. "I guess we can assume Jake's still alive. Unless the shooter also had a knife or... arsenic..."

"Stop it..." Sam whispered softly and emotionless. "Don't do that, don't blame Jake for being an idiot."

"I'm not blaming him..." she claimed, resting her head against Will's desk. "He's saving people, that's what he does. He saved Kitty, he saved me... But now that we were both at risk... He chose to save her. What does that say about me and about us?"

"I think it says more about him,"  he responded. "And besides, I'm still here."

"Yeah, for now," she mumbled.