Chapter 58: Diva's Lament

"The audience clapped for all of the judges, local celebrity jokes, politely as the first group, Musical Vibrations, began their set.

The New Directions heard their competition begin "Please, Mr. Postman" by The Marvelettes and turned to each other. "They sound good," Marley said nervously.

"We will sound better," Harmony assured her. "I hope..."

***

Several minutes later, they were feeling much better about their odds until the Ransom Notes got on stage.

["Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye-- listen to Pentatonix version!]

Ransom Notes: Pau-pau-pau-pau.. I've been really tryin', baby. To hold back this feeling for so long. And if you feel like I feel, baby. Then, c'mon, oh, c'mon.

"Their lead singer is sexy," Bree murmured to Kitty. "Ours isn't. We're dead."

"I heard that," Rory whispered down the road.

Ransom Notes: Let's get it on, ah, baby, let's get it on. Let's love, baby, let's get it on, sugar. There's nothing wrong with me. Loving you, baby no no. And giving yourself to me can never be wrong. If the love is true, baby, true. Don't you know how sweet and wonderful life can be. I'm asking you baby to get it on with me.

Not all of the New Directions were bummed out—halfway through the performance Jake leaned into Julie and started to whisper the lyrics into her ear, making her giggle and blush, while Amity and Alex bobbed their heads to the rhythm. It was Marley who was the most nervous, followed closely by Dan. 

Ransom Notes: I ain't gonna worry. I ain't gonna push, won't push you baby. So c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, baby. Stop beatin' 'round the bush, yeah yeah yeah. I wanna get it on, let's get it on. Let's get it on, let's get it on.

As the song came to an end, there was only about half a second lag time between that song and the next. Will tapped Kitty, who was at the end of her row, on the shoulder and told her to start heading backstage. The New Directions followed in line while listening to the tough act they would have to follow.

["Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. A capella version. Found a few online but none of them were very good!]

Ransom Notes: Listen, baby. Ain't no mountain high. Ain't no vally low. Ain't no river wide enough, baby. If you need me, call me. No matter where you are. No matter how far. Just call my name. I'll be there in a hurry. You don't have to worry.

***

Backstage, the New Directions gathered into their usual show circle. "Kitty, want to start us off?" Will asked.

"Sure!" Kitty exclaimed with false excitement. "When we lose, you can thank each other for not letting my girls and I take the leads."

Will rolled his eyes and said, "Take it away, Amity."

Amity looked up a bit nervously and cleared her throat before saying, "Well, this is the last Regionals for more than half of the people here—"

"Which is why the seniors should've gotten all of the solos..." Bree muttered.

"Please don't reenact this week's tumblr war..." Dan sighed.

"So..." Amity continued, ignoring them. "Let's kick some butt?"

"Right on!" Jake told her, offering her a high-five.

Will smiled and added, "Seriously everyone... Have fun out there. Come on bring it in."