Chapter 41: Winter Ball

Jake and Julie: I dug a single seed into the ground. I hope it grows, grows... In a year or two if you're around. You'll see a rose, rose... Pack me up and keep me hidden somewhere, that you can find me. On this train to Paris going nowhere, draw the bridge behind me...

The New Directions bobbed their heads pleasingly as they enjoyed the newly reunited power couple's performance in the choir room on Monday, when they all returned from Thanksgiving Break.

Jake: Don't be gone too long (too long). 'Cause you won't be there to love me when you're gone. Don't be gone too long (too long). Tell me who's gonna love me when you're gone.

Julie was used to doing numbers with Jake in which the two of them danced around a lot. In fact, had she not gone to Stanford, the two would've done this song for Sectionals. Since they hadn't been able to, Jake suggested for them to sing it for just the New Directions.

Jake: When you're, when you're gone... When you're gone...

It was surprisingly fun to sing together without all of the dance moves. Although that's where most of their chemistry was drawn for, their voices really complemented each other's and their friends seemed very impressed.

Both: Golden leaves are dancing on the ground. It's getting cold, cold... Safe from time, we'll be forever young. Never old, old... See upon a fire out in space, zooming up behind me. All the wonder written on your face was there inside me...

Will wasn't really paying attention. He saw them holding hands and singing with their bodies very close, but none of it seemed alarming, so he let his mind drift off. He was worried about the alumni, who had for the most part all returned to their places. He was also concerned for Bree, who had one more week to stay sober and would be released for a trial run back to her life.

Jake: Don't be gone too long (too long). 'Cause you won't be there to love me when you're gone. Don't be gone too long (too long). Tell me who's gonna love me when you're gone.

Ryder and Harmony were sitting together and had fallen into a small dance routine in which they swayed from side to side to the rhythm of the song. 

Both: When you're, when you're gone... When you're gone.

Harmony enjoyed being able to spend time with the other New Directions members, even if it was just in the background, and Ryder just needed a distraction. 

Both (Jake): Bring it back to me, bring it back to me. Is it really over? Bring it back to me, bring it back to me (baby don't worry) Bring it back to me, bring it back to me. Is it really over? Bring it back to me, bring it back to me.

He was slowly getting over Julie, but it wasn't as easy to do as everyone made it out to be. It was going to take time for it to stop feeling so weird when he had to see her with her new boyfriend, but he had to try, especially now that he had made up with Jake. 

Both: Don't be gone too long (too long). 'Cause you won't be there to love me when you're gone. Don't be gone too long (too long). Tell me who's gonna love me when you're gone.

Jake took the hand he was holding and spun Julie in place, bringing her closer to him after she'd finished turning. He held her there in front of her and smiled, thrilled to be able to show her off to the world once again.

Both: Don't be gone too long (too long). 'Cause you won't be there to love me when you're gone. Don't be gone too long (too long). Tell me who's gonna love me when you're gone.

Julie smiled back as the song ended and he leaned in to kiss her. Their classmates cheered and teased them, so the kiss was short-lived. Blushing, she returned to her seat with Jake sitting beside her as Will walked to the whiteboard and wrote down the words: Winter Ball.