Chapter 22: The Dark I Know Well

It's Spring Awakening time (one of my favorite musicals ever starring Lea, Jon, and a few other Glee actors for the Original Broadway production-- check it out on YouTube if you're not familiar with it and are comfortable with really graphic scenes!). 

I know it wasn't the musical that some of you were excited about and I really would've loved to use any of the other options, but I chose this one because the characters are really relate-able with a lot of the kids and the storylines we're going to be introducing. Through their work on this musical, a lot of their inner darker issues will get a chance to surface and you'll really be able to see a different side of some of these characters. So enjoy and grab a few tissues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you see in your future?" Emma asked Ryder, sitting in her office with the young man in front of her.

"Well," he began, a half-smile on his face, "I'm hoping I can get a football scholarship this year to Ohio State. I really want to go to college, but I don't want to put music behind. I'm in a band so..."

***

"I'm going to NYADA," Harmony said with a nod. "Don't give me that look! I started my application to NYADA before Rachel, Kurt or any of those other old farts even knew it existed. Literally."

***

"I don't know," Bree sighed. "Maybe college. Maybe get a job. Maybe get married. Those are the three things people do when they leave high school... Who knows."

***

"Umm..." Jake shrugged. "I guess I have a few options..."

***

"I want to go to Stanford," Julie nodded. "Or maybe Columbia or MIT. Or even Rice. Depends on the state and the financial aid, really."

***

"I don't know," Kitty shrugged. "I'm totes going to college because that's so 'in' this decade. But I don't know what I'll major in yet. Maybe something with the media or public relations. I did do a kick-ass job on Ryder's presidential campaign until he decided to go all Romeo and sacrifice himself for Julie...et... What up, Shakespeare allusion!"

***

"Unique knows pretty much nothing right now," Unique said, holding up a finger. "But I can tell you that when I do make up my mind, it's going to be something that gets my name out there."

***

"Well, I plan on going back home for the summer," Rory said. "And then I'll figure out where I want to go to college at with my family all together."

***

Marley smiled sheepishly. "I really want to have a family someday," she said. "But that's way into the future. I want to go to college, of course, but after that, who knows..? I just want to be someone that makes my mom proud and... Someone who inspires others, you know?"

***

"I should mention that music is not the priority," Ryder went on. "I mean, I'm totally loyal to the band but uh... I'm also loyal to the team. The football team. And, uh, and glee club, too. I'm totally loyal to all of it. I don't want to prioritize one over the other."

***

"Maybe Yale," Julie continued. "Or even a smaller college like Pomona or, uh, or Amherst... Or a public school but in different state like UT or NYU or USC... I don't know, the options are endless. I wish I could choose all of them."