Chapter 6: Captains

"He's so beautiful," Shana said, standing by her locker with Amity and staring with her jaw dropped at Stefan as he walked down the hall, sporting his brand new letterman jacket.

"How did they get the jackets already?" Amity shook her head in disbelief. "They just had tryouts a week ago."

"I don't know and I don't care," Shana responded, still gazing dreamily at Stefan. "He is absolutely gorgeous. That right there... that is the one..."

"I thought Unique was the one," Amity pointed out.

Shana looked over at her suddenly and said, "She's also the one." As she turned back to watch Stefan interact with his friends, Amity gave her a look, confused by how two people could be 'the one' and not 'the two.'

"Earth to Shana," she said with a laugh.

If not for Stefan rounding the corner, Shana wouldn't have turned around and said, "What?"

"I don't see what's so special about this guy," Amity shrugged. 

"He lives in the same neighborhood as your bf," Shana pointed out. "You know what that means."

"So he's rich then, is that it?" Amity asked, confused. "Alex didn't mention knowing him..."

"Maybe he doesn't," Shana said. "Although it's a small community of high-class families so they probably do know each other. Anyway, no, it's not that he's rich. It's that he's refined and cultured."

"Hmm..." Amity responded doubtfully. "I don't know that he could be described in that way..."

"Say what you will," Shana told her, "but one day I will be Mrs. Steven Montgomery."

"Wait, what did you just call him?" Amity said, a quizzical look on her face. Shana, however, had already walked on, following down the hallway Stefan had gone down through as the music began.

["Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift.]

Shana: Hey Stephen, I know looks can be deceiving. But I know I saw a light in you. And as we walked, we were talking – I didn't say half the things I wanted to.

She wasn't the only one following him. He was handsome and already gaining popularity rapidly, so other girls stood much like her and essentially stalked him.

Shana: Of all the girls tossing rocks at your window. I'll be the one waiting there even when it's cold. Hey Stephen. Boy, you might have me believing. I don't always have to be alone.

As for Stefan, he didn't seem to notice how much girls swooned over him. He, of course, had his eyes set on someone but that wasn't something he was ready to pursue yet. And as he walked and drew the sights of most of the female, and some of the male, population, he nonchalantly kept going as though it were a normal thing.

Shana: 'Cause I can't help it if you look like an angel. Can't help it if I wanna kiss you in the rain. So come feel this magic I've been feeling since I met you. Can't help it if there's no one else. Mmm, I can't help myself.

Shana spent most of that day following him around, watching him eat, breath, sleep, drink and presumably think. By the end of classes, she had stopped crushing on him and moved on to obsessing over him. She followed closely behind him after school, on the way to the choir room, and pretended to be reading from the textbook in her hands any time that he turned around. 

Shana: They're dimming the street lights. You're perfect for me, why aren't you here tonight? I'm waiting alone now, so come on and come out and pull me near to shine, shine, shine.