Chapter 33: Sacrifice

"Man, these dresses are amazing!" Marley sighed, twirling in her sapphire blue Sectionals gown, which was embroided with silver glitter lines and a sparkling silver waistline. She was not a fan of the black heels, which, although understated, were a very tight fit for her wide feet. 

"I am digging these manicures y'all!" Shana exclaimed, extending her hands out to show off the midnight blue nail polish shimmering on her nails.

"Julie would've hated these earrings," Kitty chuckled as she messed with the ones on Unique's ears. "She hates when they dangle."

"It's a shame she and Bree are missing this," Amity sighed, tapping her heels nervously, as though she could zap herself to Kansas and make everything ok.

"Especially Bree," Harmony pointed out. "These dresses are amazing and she designed them all on her own."

"Got to give her props," Unique said. "I thought she'd take them away."

"Bree wouldn't screw us over like that," Kitty shook her head. "In fact, the only reason she left us is because she knew we could handle things without her. But she wouldn't leave us helpless. Never."

"I blame Stefan for this!" Unique snapped. "If his big mouth hadn't said anything about—"

"We can't blame him for not keeping her secrets," Marley stopped her. "What they were doing was wrong and outing her to Joe was bad but she wasn't innocent here. I'm not saying I'm glad she's gone because I'm not. I was starting to like having her around... But to say that she's the victim isn't fair."

Before anybody could offer a rebuttal, Will came into the room and said, "Ladies, they just began the first performance for the Rosedale Mennonities on stage. We're up next so we need to go back and be ready to go."

The girls nodded, so Unique, Shana and Marley followed him out of the choir room. Amity took a deep breath and began to head out, stopped by Harmony.

"You look nervous," she told her. "Don't be."

"Easy for you to say," Amity shook. "You're super confident."

"And you should be, too," Harmony said. "You have a powerful voice. The solo wouldn't have gone to you if anyone thought you couldn't get us that win. Everyone knows that's how Sectionals work. It doesn't matter what happens in the group number. It's all about charming them with the opener so go get on that stage and—"

"Harmony," Alex interrupted. "We need to, uh..." He nodded over at Kitty as Jake and Stefan came up behind him.

Harmony nodded and turned to Amity. "Give them a bloodbath," she told her. She rushed back into the choir room, followed by the guys. Amity stood there, frozedn for another second, until Alex walked back to the door.

"You're going to be great," he said, kissing her cheek. She nodded nervously and looked back at Kitty's force. 

"What's going on here?" she asked. "You aren't going to watch me?"

"Of course we are," Alex nodded. "I wouldn't miss it for the world. We just have to take care of something first but we'll catch up to you later."

"You sure?" she asked, nervously looking up at him. He nodded and kissed her lightly on the lips before urging her to go on. Anxiously, she follow his orders and ran after the rest of New Directions, looking back at least five times on the way to the auditorium.

Alex walked back into the choir room and sighed as the others looked at him. "Let's get started then."

***

"Principal Hallman," Harmony said, rushing behind the woman as she walked past the auditorium.

"Yes Miss Sawyer?" Principal Hallman asked, not stopping.