The Black Orchid part 2

I could tell I was lying on the floor. My head was throbbing but I couldn't make out what exactly was going on around me. A lot of shouting I can tell that but all the voices were blending together at once. Nothing made sense as my senses started to darken and my world fell silent once more. 

Third person POV...

The Doctor walks down the stairs in his Harlequin costume, without the mask on. He pulls at the neckline nervously. He hand't gotten the suit on yet and he was going to wait till the ball was almost over to make the move to purpose to his love. He was thankful to have found his way out of the secret passage he had stumbled across when he thought he had herd something in his room. It was a maze and he was more than just delighted to see his beloved. As the Doctor came down the stairs his hearts raced and not for the right reason. Dani was on the floor unconscious on the floor. He could tell it was her, her mask was off and her head was now lying on Ann's lap. Ann looked up and gasped in horror at the sight of the Doctor. 

"That's him, he attacked her. His own love!" Ann shouts pointing up at the Doctor. He frowns, having not put his mask on yet. 

"I beg your pardon?" He frowns at the young woman, he would never hurt his Dani. The thought of someone hurting her made his blood boil and the oncoming storm come out. 

"He tried to take her somewhere we herd her screaming, he killed James, killed him when he came running to help out Dani. I saw the whole thing. He ran off upstairs when he saw me." She sobs stroking Dani's hair. "How could a man who says he's in love hurt her this way." 

"I say, look here." The Doctor starts when he's cut off by Ann.

"Sir Robert! Arrest that man. He killed James." She shrieks when sir Robert enters the room. 

"Lady Cranleigh, please." The Doctor says pleading with the woman, trying all his might to get to his Dani girl at all costs, to make sure she's okay. 

Charles enters in to the scene who goes for the phone but sir Robert beats him to it shaking his head. "Charles, shouldn't you?" 

"No, Madge. Wait until the Sergeant gets here." Robert tells her. 

"But our guests." Lady Cranleigh sighs. 

"I suggest you call it a day, Charles. Tell your guests there's been an accident and ask them to go home." Robert says shaking his head. 

"What about him?" Ann gestures to the Doctor. 

"I'll deal with this." Robert says. 

"Right-o." Charles nods before he exits the room to go and tell his guests the news. 

"Now, Ann." Robert turns to the young woman who still was cradling Dani's head refusing to move until the situation was resolved. 

"This man attacked Dani, then killed James." She insists. 

"Oh, no, no, no, no. You have to believe me." The Doctor says exasperated. "Miss Talbot is quite mistaken. I have just come down these stairs..." He trails off before he gets an idea. "Wait a minute. Was I like this?" He asks putting the mask to his face. 

"Yes." Ann nods her head. 

"Well, that's it then." The Doctor mutters. 

"What is it?" Robert asks. 

"A completely logical explanation. A duplication of fancy dress. Someone else must be wearing an identical costume." The Doctor explains, but Ann just shakes her head no. 

"No." She denies. 

"But my dear." Robert tries to say but he's cut off by Ann.

"No!" She shouts.