Rainbow

"Look at those scores!"

"You're at the top as always!"

"See yours?"

The chorus of voices fluttered in range with the gathered students pointing and obsessing over the board and the contents of the paper attached. Naegi almost passed it without a second glance but he knew better today that grades were just as important to both Kirigiri and Togami. They were special, important to the team and to the school but why was Naegi being summoned to the student council room so suddenly? He shoved his hand over his mouth but only let go when his feet started the motion. There in the student council room was Togami poured over a mess of papers.

"Ah, Naegi, you've come."

"Am I bothering you?"

"In fact, we need to talk desperately." Togami snapped up and inched his towering body over Naegi, while Naegi pushed himself against the door, his heart beating in his ears.

"W-Why f-for...?"

"I've been watching you Naegi since you came here and I see that you've made friends, formed bonds and I am very grateful that you'll be stronger and more of an asset to the team."

So why the feathery response and more than likely, why the lack of distance between him and Togami and where was this all heading? Couldn't this be talked about in front of the others? Why must this be a secret?

"I understand it's difficult to be a second year and seeing as both Kirigiri and I are leaving soon, this means the mantle of responsibility comes to you and the future. I've both concerned myself with it because I don't believe the future can be secured." Togami's glasses slid for a moment but no amount of retouching came close and slowly, his fingers extended exploring the outer edges of Naegi's cheek.

"But what do I know? I didn't take the position of student council president if I didn't believe in myself and my abilities, and thus this is where you come in. I want you to be my ambassador of sorts to the student body as you see that I lack the common touch. My family is rich, immensely rich and I have all I want within my grasp and nothing is out of my way to have but," Togami's tongue came out but it lightly flickered before vanishing and the sharp glare of his glasses gave way to the wall between him and Naegi.

"But there is one thing I desire more than anything that has slipped from my hands time and time again and no amount of prestige and money remedies this."

"Impossible, Togami senpai. You have everything you want...I never had the chance..."

Naegi's relatively middle-class existence made for interesting if passive descriptions but he knew it to be the happiest of them all and yet, it was gone before he regretted it. Did Togami never feel that sort of happiness and contentment that Naegi had the intimate pleasure of knowing? But what did this own position entail?

"You were happy, weren't you, Naegi?"

"I was, sir until..."

"I see, but I want you to keep this between us and only us because this is a task I want you to have and take from me...you promise, Naegi?"

"You don't have to ask me twice, Togami senpai."

"This is important Naegi and I want you to get to know your fellow classmates for those with potential could always exist and we need to know, and I am too busy with own life and duties to do it and I also need that part of you that's always so friendly even if it's annoyingly grating."

Togami's snarled but he hadn't backed up and hadn't released Naegi from the snare and would seem like Naegi would have to promise harder to be a social butterfly.

"You think I'm annoying?"

"Of course. No one with a past like yourself could be just as happy."

"What happens when we find those people with potential?" Surely Naegi could bring back the conversation to the topic at hand.

"Obviously, we recruit them because to win at this game, we need help and you being the new addition means that Kirigiri and I aren't alone."

"A-Alone...?"

"Yes, this isn't the time to repeat me, Naegi. This is the time to be someone worthy of me and my affections."

How could Naegi convince anyone to join their team like this? Would the person be willing to put their lives at risk to fight the Dark Hour and what did he mean by affections?

"W-Wh-"

Togami's face darkened as it clouded Naegi's view and softly the world melted into confused fluttering nonsense. Nonsense that had Naegi locked and had him unable to form the words to coherent strings of sentences. Where was his voice at? And why was Togami acting so funny now? What did he mean by 'being worthy of him'? Wouldn't there be a clue of some sort or was it remain vague but he was locked in a forever torment of swirling emotions and Togami wouldn't let go. What was going on? Why was Naegi subdued in this moment and did Togami mean everything he said?

"I..."

"Togami senpai..."

"It's not right, is it? I can't help myself...Naegi.." Breathless and almost out of range of being audible.

"W-What can't you help?" Naegi stuttered almost huffing and feeling the dryness come back to his throat. Why not of all places.

"You."

"Togami senpai, this really...really..."

"Speechless you annoying boy?"

"Togami senpai."

"Very well," Togami stepped back and his glasses were fogged but somehow that masked his real face and thus Naegi didn't know if this was played for laughs or worse-serious.

"I need you to do this, so don't fail me, Naegi. I need you to be worthy of me and even then..."

Naegi didn't hear more as he grasped the door's handle and slid out without readying his face to the world. What was going on and why did...? Did Togami kiss him? Why was Naegi trembling so much? No, he had to leave and fast. What was Togami thinking and really scheming?