Kingdom of Thieves

Thinking twice and blinking into the void, Makoto was steadfast in his principles but with the glow of the swirls around him, and the Evoker thrown against his head, he was sure of nothing in this moment. Not sure of anything more than the rhythm of his livid heart.

How did he exist? How did the stillness of his breath mean more with the tears springing up from the edges of his eyes?

How could he say no?

"HAJIME!"

Echoing and yet, suddenly crisp but like all he could sense, he was one. He was the death that would blanket this world but maybe if he didn't exist. Maybe if he didn't try so hard so why couldn't it be simpler? Hands were clashing and slashing through the air as the Evoker banged harder against his forehead, drawing the blood to gush further from his wound.

"Makoto. You are death. You are the personification of the end. The Fall."

"I refuse to believe that."

"How did it happen? How did death come to you? How did it dwell? I won't say."

"PERSONA!"

As if Makoto really thought as flashes of bullets rang out more but with some luck and reluctance, pushing on was the hardest thing to think twice about yet, it could be achieved however the fear could grip him.

It could have the strangle hold it desired, but this frail body would achieve the impossible and all because he believed.

The Personas struck each other, and Makoto took the opportunity caused in the chaos with a new-found belief, taking a hold of Hajime's hands and drawing him near. The imagined wings that Makoto found faith in was enough to shatter the imagine he had of the Kuma member.

"..."

"This is it."

A dream was emerging and soon, he could grasp it and like with those wings, he was soaring inside, and a punch split the air as the Personas disappeared seamlessly.

The contact was enough to shatter those wings.

Those wings that he relied on but no more.

So free and joining the end.

Joining The Fall that he fought so hard to kill was now growing in him.

He was death and death would be the reflection of the world.

"MAKOTO!"

The amalgamation of voices wasn't catching the ear of Makoto anymore and whatever he thought was never mind. It was the end.

It was the connection that he had sought and whatever had been desired were the fruition of another day, a day without death.

"YOU IDIOT!"

It didn't come from Hajime but Byakuya, and it was pure fury and aching his chest as the blood was the lifetime Makoto wanted.

"You still haven't learned, have you? You're needed-I love you, Makoto Naegi. I LOVE YOU! Stop with this nonsense-you're not death-no one will die now. No one including you."

"B-Byakuya..."

Eyes shot open and Makoto clashed in his mind what could have been done but with a simple gesture-the kiss brought reality shooting back and the serious wound now inhabiting his body.

And he fell gracefully in the arms of his boyfriend-with the squall calming.

The squall that had Hajime passed out.

"Sure, we'll die later but later is later and I intend to spend the rest of my life with you, so no more of this nonsense."

"B-Byakuya. Was I being foolish?"

"You were, my sweet Makoto."

Eyes plastered as the blood soaked his cheeks, and briefly, he could love freely, be it now or ever.

"Thank you for..."

"When you love someone...however cliched it could be, you do what you can for that person."

"You've grown soft, Byakuya Togami."

"I say that the blame lies on you."

"And you wouldn't have it any other way, right?"

"Yes."

And an oath was taken then, an oath that Makoto couldn't have said no to because it was about the life before the end, and after The Fall, as it would never occur, they'd end it here. An oath that he'd love forever more, like that, he was satisfied that nothing could ever embrace him again.